Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Setback
    mircat360 posted:
    After 6 days trying to go down to 20 mg, I had to get back on 40 mg of Zegerid this morning. I woke up with a pool of acid just eating away at my throat and just couldn't take it anymore. Sigh. How the hell do we get off this stuff??? If studies have proven it creates a vicious cycle (the acid backlash), isn't that illegal in some way? A drug that helps, but also CAUSES the condition? Ugh, so disgusted with the drug industry right now.

geminiman responded:
    After many years I've found my solution.
    I take a Protonix 40mg in the morning. I also take a pepcid 20 mg 30 min before meals and 2 tablespoonsful of Gaviscon Extra Strength liquid right after meals. I avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits and avoid over-eating. I don't eat for 3 hrs before bed. I elevate my head with 2 pillows when sleeping and sleep on my left side. I do drink coffee, but I make sure to eat something first. I am able to cut back to just the Protonix when symptoms clear and an occasional Pepcid. My attacks are now very infrequent to non-existent. You have to stick with the above regimen for 2-4 weeks. Check with your doctor before starting especially if you take other medication. Hope this works..it does for me!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Brittany and I'm 21 years old. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia earlier in 2012 and have had back/neck alignment problems since I ...More

Helpful Tips

After over ten years GERD is gone, here's how
    I have been worried about being on Prilosec for over 10 years with all the bad things I hear about it. I wanted to try weaning off of it ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.