Skip to content
PPIs--What does Long Term Use Do to Us?
An_258152 posted:
Hi. Glad to find this forum. Been on PPI's for about 8 years. All the PPI's say the course is 14 days. And yet, all three doctors I've seen, including the expert, say I must take them to my grave. A good friend was hit by a bicyclist last year, and she broke about half the bones on her body--not just broke them, but to pieces--her ribs broke completely away from her spinal column. Yes, she was a long term PPI user. As for myself, I've had a number of strange maladies, and my primary care decided to check my vitamin D levels. They were BASEMENT low--DESPITE TAKING 2,000 mg. EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR FIVE YEARS.

I've been reading that the main cause of GERD is NOT overproduction of hydrochloric acid, but UNDERPRODUCTION, which causes the food to sit too long in the stomach waiting to be digested. Then you lie down, or bend over, and voila, acid reflux. I don't understand this new phenomenon of so many people having GERD. Neither of my parents ever had it, nor did any of my 8 aunts and uncles. And they drank more coffee, many smoked, and almost all drank, some a lot! I don't do any of these things and yet I've twice gone in for dilation of my esophagus because of esophageal rings caused by GERD, and am scheduled for my third.

A GI doctor just told me I will need to take a strong PPI all the way to my GRAVE, and that my extremely low vitamin d levels have absolutely NOTHING to do with the PPI. I don't believe this. The black box warning clearly tells you about the malabsorption problem. But that's not the half of it. A holistic practitioner told me that as we get older, we produce LESS hydrochloride acid, and that the PPIs block VITAL vitamins, minerals and nutrients every day. The digestive process is then lengthened, (time between eating and defecation), which allows for the toxins to stay around longer in our bodies, when they can cross into the bloodstream and cause a low level disease process. Well, if I'm not getting the nutrients I need to be healthy, stands to reason my esophagus and esophageal sphincter is not going to be healthy, and maybe even getting weaker? Not to mention all the extra time it's taking food to digest--that's GOT to be putting a huge burden on other organs, such as the liver.

I was just put back on a powerful PPI three days ago by the GI doc (was trying PEPCID to wean off) and I'm having such chest pain I thought I was having a heart attack. But the thing is, it's only after I take the pill, and that can't be a coincidence. Also, gas and belching!! Well I think that's from the I digested food!!

I'm trying something new. I just bought digestive enzymes, and have been taking probiotics. They are costly, but I'm trying for a month. I'm scheduled for the endoscopy in one month, and if this fails, I will rethink the doctors advice.

One last thing, so many here have written about food getting stuck, and vomiting, and doctors not knowing. Could be an esophageal ring--this happens to me whenever reflux is really bad. They dilate the ring, the choking goes away (for a while at least). Good luck to us all!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I am 24 years old. I got diagnosed with GERD and found out that I have a hiatus hernia in 2007. I also have migraines without aura and I may have a...More

Helpful Tips

What are the causes of heartburn(acidity) and what is it treated?
Acidity very common condition, which is usually not worth the anxiety, but some people suffer from it permanently, has become a serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.