Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Proposition 8 Overturned
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
A U.S. District judge has determined that California's 2008 Proposition 8, which banned same sex marriage, was not consitutional (This is not a WebMD site, we cannot guarantee content). <br/><br/>Judge Vaughn Walker said in part, "The evidence shows that Prop. 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California constitution, the notion that opposite sex couples are superior to same sex couples..."

How do you feel about this decision?

Byroney

Thad47 responded:
I wholeheartedly agree with Judge Walker's decision. Anyone who seriously scrutinizes US history will see that the majority has never been a source to protect the rights of minorities.

Nothing could be more unconstitutional than placing up for vote any minorities' civil rights for the majority to decide. Additionally, it is quite clear that most people who oppose gay marriage do so on religious grounds, which undermines Thomas Jefferson's espousal of "Separation of Church and State."

Furthermore, gays and lesbians pay income taxes to the federal and state governments like their heterosexual counterparts. States that enshrine bigotry in their constitution by denying gays and lesbians the right to marry while taxing them are the epitome of injustice. The federal government's inforcement of the "Defence of Marriage Act" while enforcing taxation on gays and lesbians is the epitome of injustice.

Portions of the taxes that homosexuals, like heterosexuals, pay goes to the military, yet openly gay and lesbian soldiers continue to be discharged from serving the country they love, the country that continues to place them as second class citizens while charging them first class tax rates. That is the epitome of injustice.

Finally, the injustice shown to gays and lesbians is not overshadowed by the overwhelmining hypocrisy displayed by those who would deny homosexuals the right to marry. One does not need to search far to see that many that are screaming and protesting to "protect marriage" from the "evil gays" have serial marriages, evidenced by their mulitple divorces and remarriages. If they were serious about "protecting marriage," they would favor a constitutional amendment to outlaw divorce, would they not? That question will never be truthfully answered, for the hypocrites want to continue to have as many marriages that they deem necessary while denying the same right to gays and lesbians.

Judge Vaughn Walker make the correct decision, and it was way past overdue.

Sincerely,

Thad

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Raven I'm 27. I'm bisexual I have a boyfriend and a girlfriend. If I had to choose I would have to pick my girl friend. She hangs the ...More

Helpful Tips

How Safe is Tattooing?
Our Skin Problems and Treatments Exchange Health Expert, Dr. Susan Evans discusses just how safe tattooing is. Besides learning there is ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.