Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prehomosexual
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
A recent article on the Scientific American blog discusses what developmental psychologists call "prehomosexual ", that is children who exhibit a set of early behavioral indicators that homosexuals seem to have in common.

So fess up, did you play with the toys that "matched" your gender or did your parents worry you might be gay or a lesbian when you were very young?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am not sure in my case. I enjoyed going to the neighbor boy's house and playing with his Matchbox cars, trucks, and legos. I coveted his father's train set. I rode my bike like crazy. My favorite toy was a set of wooden blocks. I apparently (according to my mother) refused to take ballet lessons because "those were for girls." I did better in toughskin jeans than any other clothing. (but I had a favorite Winnie the Pooh dress in Kindergarten and First Grade)

On the other hand, I loved brushing my older sister's long hair. I had dolls aplenty and played with them. (admittedly by making them "fly" by tying a string around them and spinning them around. I spent a lot of time getting into my older sister's make up, playing house with my sister, and loved to cook.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Raven I'm 27. I'm bisexual I have a boyfriend and a girlfriend. If I had to choose I would have to pick my girl friend. She hangs the ...More

Helpful Tips

How Safe is Tattooing?
Our Skin Problems and Treatments Exchange Health Expert, Dr. Susan Evans discusses just how safe tattooing is. Besides learning there is ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.