Skip to content
Dinged for reporting it.
An_198092 posted:
When I visited a friend in a nursing home he said he wanted to commit suicide. I really did not think he meant it, but when I tried to report what he said to the charge nurse, his private sitter said I could not do that. Communication in that place is bad and no one told me until much later that private sitters do have the health care directive.

Anyway, I was able to report the incident to his psychologist. Now the psychologist has declared me a detriment to my friend's care and has suspended me for at least a month from visiting him.

This sounds crazy. I tried to be helpful but in doing so I have been declared a detriment to my friend. What do you make of this?
Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Anon_15668,

I would suggest checking the laws in your state. Your State Department of Health should be able to help you understand your rights in a nursing home setting. They should also have a mechanism by which you can lodge a complaint.

States usually have an ombudsman program, who protect the health, rights, safety, and welfare of the people in nursing homes. Check into that for your state, too.

Finally, check with your state's licensing board for pyschologists, and file a complaint if you feel his/her behavior was unprofessional. Also, you may be able to file a complaint against the nursing/professional staff that would not allow you to report your friend's threat.

Best wishes to you and your friend,


Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 59, married with 3 grown kids, conservative, practicing Catholic, and I'm bisexual. In our house I'm the bisexual one, my wife is not ...More

Helpful Tips

How Safe is Tattooing?
Our Skin Problems and Treatments Exchange Health Expert, Dr. Susan Evans discusses just how safe tattooing is. Besides learning there is ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful