Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    gays having children
    luda17 posted:
    does any of you guys have children w/ your partner or plan on having children? just wanted to get some advice or other opinions on this topic. thank you
    Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Dear Luda17,

    My wife and I raised two children together, however they were biologically mine from my first marriage. She was unable to have children, and since we had full custody, we spent most of our resources raising them.

    Our daughter turned 23 yesterday, and our son (18) just started college. We're pretty proud of them and I think we made a great team.

    Are you thinking of having children? Have you thought about who would carry? Take turns? Donors?

    The post just before yours is about Neil Patrick Harris having twins with his partner of six years, so there are definitely other couples out there looking into the topic, too. Maybe some of our other members will chime in with their experiences.

    luda17 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
    Thank you Byromey,
    And I want children more then anything in this world... I was never Gay before until i met my partner now of 6 months. I was in a very abusive relationship and Scared of men... really I know that sounds crazy but i am. And she loves me more then any other person has. And we talked about children we both want them me more so then her. But I want nothing more out of life then to have children myself. I have a medical condition that may interfere with that *endometriosis* but i was wondering if it was possible to have her egg and my egg be fertilized by the same donor and both implanted into me? Havent talked to a doc or anyone about this just you.. So curious on the commented ill get back. But do you think that is possible?
    Thanks again!
    Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to luda17's response:
    Dear Laurie,

    I'm glad you are now in a safer, happier place. Most of all, it's great you're with someone whom you can love and who loves you back.

    In this article on IVF and Tubral Procedures it says "In vitro fertilization (IVF) is the combining of a woman's eggs and a man's sperm in a laboratory. The resulting embryo or embryos are then transferred into the uterus. Your doctor can use your eggs and sperm for IVF or donor eggs or sperm if necessary."

    So I believe the answer is a cautious "Yes." First, you would need to talk with a gay-friendly reproductive expert, and discuss whether or not you're a good candidate, and get your partner checked out, too.

    What you're asking for would require trying to "synch" up both your cycles and then to be able to fertilize both her eggs and your own with the same donor. Then the eggs would in theory (if your doctor clears you) be implanted in you. If all went just right, you would have twins who were half-siblings (if you chose the same donor father).

    It might be less expensive to try something like IUI (Intra-Uterine Insemination) and have your child. Then for the next pregnancy, use IVF and you could be the surrogate for your partner's child if she doesn't want to be pregnant. As long as you both use the same donor, the resulting children will still be half-siblings.

    The least expensive way would be for you both to use a sperm bank, get inseminated by the same donor, and both of you carry naturally. This way you save the hefty costs involved in IVF, IUI, and other fertility treatments.

    Make sure to look at the legal side of things. Some states/countries do not allow same-sex partners to adopt their partner's child. You also want to discuss what happens if you two should break up, one of you should die, etc. Not pleasant topics, but ones that need to be discussed with a lawyer to make sure your childrens' best interests are protected.

    Also, if you don't use a sperm bank, you'll need to draw up papers that legally define the male donor's position in the children's lives. Otherwise, you could have "daddy" suing you for custody down the road.

    Best wishes and write back when you get a chance,

    Monkeys_momma responded:
    My partner and I have been together for almost 11 years and just welcomed a baby girl 11 days ago. She has been helping me raise my almost 12 year old son since he was one. We waited a long time to be in a good place to bring another child into the world and couldn't be happier! I couldn't imagine anything more amazing than being a mom!
    Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to Monkeys_momma's response:
    Dear Monkeys_momma,

    Congratulations on your little girl! It sounds like the two of you make a wonderful team, both as parents and as partners.

    I hope your son is enjoying the role of "big brother" now. If you have any other news or insights to share, we'd love to hear them.

    Best wishes,


    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I'm Raven I'm 27. I'm bisexual I have a boyfriend and a girlfriend. If I had to choose I would have to pick my girl friend. She hangs the ...More

    Helpful Tips

    How Safe is Tattooing?
    Our Skin Problems and Treatments Exchange Health Expert, Dr. Susan Evans discusses just how safe tattooing is. Besides learning there is ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 23 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.