Skip to content
The pain of grief.
An_198052 posted:
I wanted to know how others deal with this grief and suffering from the loss of loved ones,My son was killed in a auto accident in 2004 and my wife died suddenly at age 46 in 2008, My health went all to heck in Feb.2009 ( P.A.D.) now I am diseased and diabled and find myself with little or no purpose each day.This is just adding to the pain.Help !

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am so sorry you've dealt with such devastating losses, including the loss of your health. That needs some grieving as well.

Do you have any friends or family you connect with on a regular basis? If they're out there but you don't see them regularly, time to reach out to them.

But I also really encourage you to find support groups in your area, whichever ones may serve your purpose. It can be a basic grief support group, or one re your illness or anything in between. Look in your local paper for community groups, look at your local churches if you're comfortable doing so, etc.

And find a way to give back to others... be that people or animals. Helping others - even when you have serious health concerns - can really help you.

Do you have any pets?

And always feel free to talk here as well.

FYI, I've had some serious losses as well but have never lost one of my sons. I did lose loved ones and my partner a few years ago and have my own serious health and pain issues. Reshaping my life, finding laughter where I can, connecting with others any and everywhere, is what helped get me through. Sometimes we have to do some creative thinking.

((((hugs)))))

savoy3 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for just letting me get that out ! I do have dear and loved ones and I keep my faith strong,Doing for others does give me purpose but I want to do more in these hard times. God Bless Neil.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to savoy3's response:
Hi Neil,

I hope you will always feel free to come here and talk. That alone, among others who can really understand the road you're on, can really help.

Skipalonius replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am glad to finally find a place to talk with people who are just like me. I lost my wife recently, and it was a combination of instant heart attack, and a long series of illnesses, with a full recovery. I was caught off guard, and I had to see it happen.
Most of the time, I, as caregiver, could help her. But his was not a diabetic issue. She just went. So I have some Ptsd. She was my life, best friend, and my reason to be alive and happy.
I have just begun eating after 3 months. Tears still flow, but I am not breaking down all the time. I expect a long recovery for myself.

Skipalonius replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
You are so correct.
My job in not interested in my pain.
But as we share here, we can all heal slowly but surely.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Skipalonius's response:
I'm glad you found us, Skipalonius, though I'm sorry for your need to be here.

I hope you'll keep talking here and hope that doing so gives you some level of comfort.

I'm glad you're eating again. We must take care of our physical health through all this as best we can. (((hugs)))

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tina I'm 20. I live in Portland Oregon. I moved here in 2005 from Phoenix Az. My father passed away a year later, , from a self inflic...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.