Skip to content
Loss of a Parent and Best Friend
An_198058 posted:
It has been a little over two years now since my Dad passed away. We were so close to one another. He was my best friend and a parent that I could talk to about anything. He had cardiomyopathy heart disease and was just 50 when he passed away of congestive heart failure. Just a year before he passed he had moved in with me and I was taking care of him and going to college. We use to take walks together, and he would bring me a sack lunch to campus and we would have a picnic together. It was Easter 2008 that my Dad took his turn for the worse suddenly, and passed away in the hospital, and he was the only family I had and only person I knew truly cared about me. I miss him so much and I feel so alone all the time because I don't have many friends, all those I thought I had turned their back on me when I needed them when he passed, I am in a relationship with a man that I do love but it seems to be falling apart and I just wish I had my dad to call and just talk too. I write in a journal, but it is nothing like actually having him here. When it comes down to it it is just me. I miss him so much. Wish I could just have my Dad and my best friend back.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I really understand that loneliness and how you miss him still. (((hugs)))

I, too, learned who my friends really were and weren't when I went through a big loss. The good news is that the ones who stick around really are worth having around and you can lean on them now too.

Have you ever considered writing to your dad?

Spotlight: Member Stories

the year 2009 was an extremely bad year for me and my son. my brother passed away suddenly in march, followed by my other brother in october and then ...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.