Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What are the effects of losing a parent at age 18?
An_198059 posted:
My mom had cancer for 2 years and just recently passed away after the tumors spread to he brain and she became very very sick. I was just wondering what the long and short term effects would be like for an 18 year old girl.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am so sorry for your loss and welcome you here.

For some basic information, click on the following link:

Grief and Grieving

But how it will impact you in the long-term, no one can really predict that. Everyone is different... it depends on you, the circumstances of her dying and death, your relationship with her, the support you have now, how healthy you are otherwise, and so on.

Grieving does take time. Take good care of your physical health and be patient with yourself and with the process. Lean on those who can support you, and take it day by day.

Be gentle with yourself and if it helps, keep talking here.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been married to a wonderful main since 05/2006. We lost our only child in 7/2010 to an accidental drowning. Our world has been turned upside do...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.