Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lost your parents? How are you handling it?
An_198064 posted:
I lost my last parent, in Oct. of 2009. It was just him and I since 3rd grade. If we were an ice cream, I guess you would call us Rocky Road. We cared about one another, but I think he found it hard to communicate with me. Still, we were it-we were the family. We were comfortable in it and I would cook holiday dinners at my home. Now he is gone and I have no family to spend it with. I have family out of state, but everyone has their own lives and no one seems to bring me into their circle. A friend has been good about it, but I feel it is because she feels sorry ande compassion for me. I don't know what I will do in the future. Rainy days for some reason bring out missing him.....He was quite a character...someone you don't forget...to me he seemed larger than life...Even though I made my own decision, I used to like to run something by him just to hear what his comments would be...feel so sad that I can't do that anymore. There is really no one like him that I know , so there is a big empty place where he was.
I would love to know how others get through it all...

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and welcome to WebMD,

I'm sorry for your loss and for your need to be here and hope that others who have lost a parent or both parents will share their thoughts here.

I haven't lost my parents but have lost people very close to me. Sometimes it's losing that day-to-day interaction that feels the hardest, having someone there at the end of the day to talk about anything and everything, be it your day, a meal, something in the news, a tv show, or whatever. (((hugs)))

One of the hardest things to learn, I've found, is to accept others reaching out to help us, especially if we're used to being the ones who care for others.

Does it matter what the motive is regarding your friend? Wouldn't you be there for her in the same circumstances? Let her help you. I feel that letting a friend help us is a gift to that friend, not a burden or hindrance.

And we can build our own families and support systems, create new ones with friends. Find new ways to celebrate those holidays. And find ways to deal with those dark, rainy days.... exercise, calling a friend, watching a favorite feel-good movie, whatever works for you.

And talk here if it helps.

Wiggka2008 responded:
I dont know how people get through death. I kind of just keep it all inside. I related to this because my dad was my best friend, and I his for so long and then one day hes gone. I lost my dad in Oct 2008 and it never gets easier. You just learn to live with it I guess.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a disabled mother of three girls (all teenagers) and little did we know our lives would all change on Aug 6th, 2009. We had just moved into a bra...More

Helpful Tips

lost my son in dec.10
New here so I'm trying to post to get answers for my greive & maybe even to help someone else?I'm looking for a good group who I can ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.