Skip to content
Grieving my Dad
CRITTERLOVER3 posted:
I turned 61 last week and it was the first birthday without my Dad. He died 9/7/10 and I just can't come to grips with it. I would go to see him and Mom every 6-8 weeks for the past 5 years. We were very close. The last day he was alert was the night before I left. He told me I was a good daughter and he loved me. He fell the next morning and was never alert again.I promised him I would return in 2 weeks. I did, for his funeral. My last vision of him was curled up in a fetal position in a diaper.

I used to post on the MS support group but I couldn't keep up anymore. 6 days before my Dad died I had major surgery, so attending the funeral was very difficult.

Today is the 3rd day I haven't left the house. I have been just sitting and crying. My family is not the kind to discuss anything. So my grief is my own. Thank you for letting me vent. Arlene

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm glad you found us, Arlene, though I'm very sorry for your need to be here. (((hugs)))

Your loss is a fairly recent one so it's not surprising that you're still in the depths of grief, particularly with this birthday. Those first celebratory milestones without a lost loved one can be particularly difficult.

I hope you'll do some reading here and hope you'll keep talking too. You'll find you're not alone.

And start building a support team around yourself... if your family isn't receptive, lean on friends or find a grief support group in your area.

Be patient with yourself and with the process.

Spotlight: Member Stories

looking for some place to go to help the pain I feel after the loss of my husband 5/26/20010. It seems like yesterday.I cant talk to anyone.I feel so ...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.