Skip to content
Need a little help.
GVCW1 posted:
I was divorced about a year a go and moved out of state with my son. I had to move in with my mom. My mom is very intrusive and overbearing. She disciplines my son like his is hers and tells me how I should disciplines him. I have no choice but to stay here right now. I have no job. Every time I have to do something she wants to know what I am doing where I am going and who I am going to be with. Also when I have been on a date or a social gathering she wants the peoples phone numbers. I feel like I am a child. I need help on how to deal with her and her actions.
Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:

Thank goodness you had somewhere to go, though I understand this is a difficult situation.

I'm no expert so this is just some personal thoughts based on what you said....

Is there a reason she doesn't trust your judgment?

Do you have a cell phone? If so, that's all she needs when you go out so she can get hold of you should you be needed re your son.

You may want to do some reading up on healthy boundaries. Sometimes we need to create realistic boundaries and maintain them when it comes to our parents. That doesn't mean fighting with her, but using clear and calm language, while you behave responsibly over time as an adult and parent yourself.

And work towards getting yourself and your son out of her home to a place that's healthy for both of you, while still maintaining a relationship with your mother.
GVCW1 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you. I just looked boundaries up and came up with a ton of help.
Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to GVCW1's response:
You're very welcome. Of course, healthy boundaries goes both ways. :-)

Good luck to you!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tina I'm 20. I live in Portland Oregon. I moved here in 2005 from Phoenix Az. My father passed away a year later, , from a self inflic...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 27 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.