Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
loss of husband now a singlr mom of a 3 yr old
An_198073 posted:
hi im not doing good ive lost my first love and husband. im now raising our daughter and its hard trying to take care of her and grieve to. none of my family and friends understand much they have older kids not young ones havent dealt with it. im 28 and not sure how to handle both grif and raising a child who dont understand whats going on. everything i try to do sometimes i think is not enough.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear one,

I am so sorry you're having to deal with this at such a young age, not that it's ever easy. I'm not surprised your friends don't understand as they've probably not dealt with real loss yet. Our friends and family can care but they can't really understand unless they've been where you are now.

What you're doing IS enough for now. You're getting up each day. You're there for your daughter. You're reaching out.

Nothing's going to feel right for a while. Be patient with yourself and with the process.

Having a young child, as difficult as it is to be facing the world as a single mom, is one of the things that will help to pull you through because even when you may not want to go on, you know you have to for your little one.

Be gentle with yourself and keep reaching out. Let others support you as they can, even if it's not exactly what you need. And don't be afraid to voice what you may need from them.

And you are always welcome to talk here as often and as much as you need to. (((softhugs)))

speedy281082 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
thanks thats helpful im now in a relationship with a nice person whos been there for me to as well has friends and family its still hard to be a single mom but im trying to move on for myself and daughters sake. im moving from where me and spouse lived to start a fresh start with our new live together. r anniversary wold be this week but im dealing with it and keeping myself busy. i know ill see him again and that he would want me to go on with my life but ill always have a hole in my heart where he wants had but im trying to hold it together for everyones sake

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to speedy281082's response:
Hi Speedy,

Thank you for coming back and letting us know how you're doing. It sounds like you're taking some positive steps for yourself and have good support around you.

That hole may always be there for him, but the kindness of others will make it easier to bear and fill your hurting heart.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tina I'm 20. I live in Portland Oregon. I moved here in 2005 from Phoenix Az. My father passed away a year later, , from a self inflic...More

Helpful Tips

lost my son in dec.10
New here so I'm trying to post to get answers for my greive & maybe even to help someone else?I'm looking for a good group who I can ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.