Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I don't know how much I can take!
bailey2731 posted:
My 16th birthday was last week and I got a call from my mom's neighbor (I live with my mamaw) in the middle of the night saying that there was something wrong and that we needed to get there quick. When we got there, there was 2 ambulances and a bunch of people standing outside. I went to my neighbors house to see how my little sister was doing and sat there and talked to her. After a while my mamaw came over and told me that she was gone, and I started balling and wanted to go home immediately. I made it through the funeral alright, but I was still having trouble handling the fact that she wasn't going to be here anymore to talk to me and tell me how proud of me that she was.
Exactly one week after my birthday and the passing of my mom, we got another call from my neighbor saying we needed to get down there quick becuase there was something wrong with my step-dad and we needed to get my sister, becuase if we didn't his family would, and we all knew that they abused drugs and I didn't want her up there, and I knew my mom wouldn't want her up there. So they took my step-dad to the hospital and he died there of a kidney failure. I was in shock because I just didn't know how much more of death I could take.
Later that night, my step-dads family came up to my house to get my little sister and they said that she had to go with them, so I let her go, not wanting to cause any trouble.
I had heard some rumors that they had already called some lawyers and were ready to fight us in court for her and I just don't think I can handle my mom and step-dad passing away and my little sister being taken away from, too. They also said that they were planning on selling my moms trailor to pay off for the funerals and give her old car back to the dealership and collect rent from one of my moms old trailors. They are acting like they own the world right now and they're taking some of my mom's stuff and I just don't know how much I can handle!! I'm only 16 and I have college things to worry about and I don't know what to do. I miss my mom so much and they are just making 10 times worse on me. Please, someone help me!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Bailey,

I am so sorry for your losses and all you're dealing with now.

Please consider contacting some child services to find out what your rights are regarding your sister. Even if they get custody, that doesn't mean you would be denied access to her.

Please get some support around you... your Mawmaw, child services and child advocates.

Perhaps others here will have some ideas for you. In the meantime, click here for a list of agencies which help children/minors. Even if they're not exactly the right agencies, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Putting me into words... To know me is to love me. I am not a complicated person; however people tend to complicate me because they misunderstand my ...More

Helpful Tips

lost my son in dec.10
New here so I'm trying to post to get answers for my greive & maybe even to help someone else?I'm looking for a good group who I can ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.