Skip to content
In Memory Of...Steve Jobs
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Steve Jobs, the legendary co-founder of Apple, lost his battle with pancreatic cancer earlier today. He was only 56 years old. The world is saddened by his loss.

With this news and as we start National Breast Cancer Awareness month, I think it is a good time to remember all of our loved ones who have passed away from cancer.

If you've lost a loved one, post your memory here.

Who did you lose?
What type of cancer?
What is your fondest memory of that person?

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'll start.

In memory of:

Jeannie - 1st Cousin - Breast Cancer
Jeannie was my first cousin, but was only a few years younger than my mom. Her mother was my mom's oldest sister. My favorite memory is being about 11 years old and riding in the car with Jeannie while we went to pick up her elderly father's girlfriend, Myrtle. As we neared the house, she sang out loudly to everyone in the car, "Myrtle get your girdle on! We're almost there."

Bonnie -- Grandmother -- Colorectal Cancer
My dad's mom was a mystery to me most of my life. We only saw her once a year, and she was very strict when we visited. No feet on the furniture. No TV. No lurking in the fridge. Quiet voices in the house. One summer when she was sick I went up with just my dad to visit her. It was the first time she'd ever told me about her life as a girl. She showed me her best beauty secret: Washing her face every night and every morning with Noxema. I treasure that memory.

Olivia

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Olivia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for the opportunity to share personal stories Olivia!

In memory of:

Martha, Grandmother, Breast Cancer

My dad's mom was a spitfire who owned a dance studio in a tiny Oklahoma town for many years. My favorite memory is visiting her in Southern California and having fresh guacamole from an avocado tree in her back yard. Once she took out her "fake boob" and let my brother and I poke it. She taught me that cancer doesn't have to be scary.

Sherri - Aunt - Breast Cancer
My aunt was an extremely creative person who loved to spark creativity in others. We took a cake decorating class together when I was very young and we donated the cake to a bake sale for a charity fundraiser. I think it sold for a whopping $8.00! She also gave me my first ever paying job passing out fliers for her beauty shop. Her son is one of my closest relatives and when I lost my mother last year, he was a great support.

Haylen

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
My heart goes out to Steve's family and friends. What a remarkable person, who opened many eyes in sharing his magical thoughts.

In memory of:

Tom aka Moo - My Dad - Small Cell Lung Cancer
My uncle described my father best - "He was a witty raconteur, known for practical jokes, a general passion for life and as a loving husband and father." I miss my dad's amazing hugs, contagious laugh, hysterical antics and everything else that went with him.
I LOVE & MISS YOU, DAD!

Amelia

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I've lost more to heart disease and other diseases than cancer. It never gets easier.

Thankfully, most of my loved ones who have been touched with cancer have survived it but I did have one good friend....

Don, one of the sweetest men I ever knew. He was partner to a very good friend, Joanna, and was hit with pancreatic cancer a few years ago. His decline was rapid and my heart still aches for missing him. He had a sweet tooth and there were always candies nearby, and he brought so much humor and light into Joanna's life. And that's what I remember most about him, the two of them together as he was dying. The love in the room each and every day was palpable and humbling.

I'm a PC girl but that doesn't change how aware I am of how Steve Jobs changed our world, not once but many times in compelling ways. It feels like the end of the era. He was one of the midwives of our technological age and there will never be another like him.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Steve Jobs has defined so much of my life. My Apple Macintosh LCII got me online 18 years ago this month, and I've never left. My kids, who grew up with his Toy Story movies (through PIXAR), now have his iPhones.

Apple brought fun, fruity colors into the computer world where dull putty, off-white, and shades of beige had reigned before. Macs, iPods, iTunes, and iPads alone have shaped a generation. Thank you Steve Jobs for sharing your vision.

In Memory Of:

Nana -- Grandmother-in-law -- Breast Cancer
Nana thought the sun rose on my daughter, who was the first grandchild in the family. We were able to spend many happy years with her before breast cancer took her life. My favorite memory is of her telling me which of her romances books I couldn't borrow to read because, "That one's too racy for you, Dear."

I also have two family members with their cancer in remission (grandfather & sister), and I hope they continue to stay that way.

Byroney

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 47 year old married mother of two. I've been married for almost 23 years and our children are 20 and 17. We are very close to my family. We...More

Helpful Tips

lost my son in dec.10
New here so I'm trying to post to get answers for my greive & maybe even to help someone else?I'm looking for a good group who I can ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.