Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Loss of Husband
An_241262 posted:
My husband, John, & I were married 51 years and I knew him for 56 years. He died in May this year after a long and difficult degenerative brain disease (Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP). For the last few years I've been his caregiver. I am now 69 and alone for the first time in my life. I have a wonderful dog, Gina, and family nearby, but I am getting more depressed. I am in poor health with limited mobility; I feel like I'm on a sinking raft. Any suggestions? Thank you,

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear one,

I don't know how your post was missed over two months ago but somehow it was...

How are you doing now? We've just come through your first holidays without him and I know how hard that can be.

I'm so glad you have Gina and family nearby but really encourage you, despite your physical limitations, to find ways to connect with others. Look in your community (or church) for free support groups for those who have lost someone dear to them. It may really help you to talk with others.

Take steps to take care of your physical health and talk with your doctor if the depression continues to deepen. You may want to consider one on one therapy. This is a huge loss and I am so very sorry. ((((softhugs))))

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a mother of two grown sons, have a great daughter-in-law, granddaughter and grandson. I have fibromyalgia and by the early/mid 90's tha...More

Helpful Tips

lost my son in dec.10
New here so I'm trying to post to get answers for my greive & maybe even to help someone else?I'm looking for a good group who I can ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.