Skip to content
Dad/older brother
bscholz9206 posted:
I lost my older brother in June 2004 to sleep apnea and my Daddy just a few months ago on August 9th to congestive heart failure.I will not lie when I say that the grief I am feeling for my Dad is alot more significant than I ever felt for my brother.People tell me it's because he was my Dad and he helped shape who I am and my brother was just my brother.I am really dreading the holidays w/o my Dad here.Has anyone else lost a parent recently and this is your first holiday season without them?I cry at the drop of a hat now and I miss him alot.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

I am so sorry for both your losses, particularly the more recent loss of your dad. (((hugs)))

I am sure you're not alone in facing the first holiday season without your beloved parent. This board can be quiet but keep checking back in for responses as they come, and write as much as you need to. Sometimes just writing in a space where you know that everyone understands can be helpful.

It's okay to grieve and cry. Be gentle to yourself through the holidays. You will get through and I hope you find ways to honor their memories throughout and even share the good memories with others.

bscholz9206 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Caprice.

I had a really good cry last night.It seems to hit the hardest when I am alone.I cried for 4 hours straight last night and it was getting to the point where I was making myself sick.I am going to try my best to get thru the holidays but it will not be easy.I am lucky that I have a loving,supportive husband and family to help me thru it.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to bscholz9206's response:
I'm glad you have so much support around you.

Know you will get through these holidays. Soon it will be January and it will all be behind you. (((hugs)))

(Not that the grieving will stop then, it just may not be hitting you in the face everywhere you turn.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 47 year old married mother of two. I've been married for almost 23 years and our children are 20 and 17. We are very close to my family. We...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.