Skip to content
Taking Care of Yourself
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
All of us who post here know that holidays can be a particularly difficult time when we've lost someone near and dear to us.

How are you spending your Thanksgiving this year? How will you take care of yourself through the holiday? Do you have support around you?

It can be tempting to isolate ourselves when we're hurting. Please reach out for support if you need it. And allow yourself to cry as well. I hope you all find ways to include your loved one's memory in the holiday.

33Smiles responded:
It's a hard time of year for me. I will be alone as far as I know. I just lost a former pastor who was like a second dad to me and was very special to me. His favorite was pineapple upside down cake. So, I plan to make one and take it to this Sunday's get together at church when they have their Thanksgiving dinner. I don't feel like being around people even though I'm a people person. This pastor just passed a few days ago. But, somehow it will help me to make his favorite cake and take and share it with people at church and love them. It's just my way of remembering and loving him. I've been very sick but am hoping I can go Sunday.

This is a tough time of year for me too but on Thanksgiving if I'm alone that day I plan to just make a list of things I'm thankful for and choose to think on them instead of the difficulties. I also plan to write a letter to friends/family with my theme of thankfullness, kind of a summary of the year for me and an encouraging hello...and maybe send it out to people instead of thanksgiving cards this year. Maybe I can inspire those who know me to carry on the theme of thankfulness and make a difference in others' lives as well. It's a tough time around the holidays for me and truthfully I just want them to be over, but I can choose to take the time I have been given and use my life and this time to inspire and encourage others...so I'm choosing to keep a smiling attitude and make the choice to make the best I can out of times that are hard for me. Just my thoughts.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to 33Smiles's response:
What a lovely way to spend your Thanksgiving, Smiles. You've inspired me. I'm going to be alone much of the time through Christmas and New Year's and am also taking steps to turn it around like that.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a mother of two grown sons, have a great daughter-in-law, granddaughter and grandson. I have fibromyalgia and by the early/mid 90's tha...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.