Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Loss of a friend
mandyelizabeth87 posted:
Hello,

I am posting this because about four years I lost a very close friend of mine in a car accident. He was 20 years old when he died and I was a few months away from my 21st birthday.
I'm currently about to be turning 25 years old and for the past few months, I've been having dreams about my friend trying to contact me and in my dreams he's lost and I am set to the task of trying to find him. Lately, the dreams have been more and more frequent, in some dreams he's still alive and his death was a lie and I end up being lost trying to get to where he is and in other dreams, he contacts me and tells me that I need to find him. In other dreams, friends of ours that talked to him tell me that he was too sad to live anymore and that's why he died.
I usually wake up feeling sad and even though I'm not lonely in my life, after dreaming about him, I feel a lonliness set in.

Any suggestions on how I might cope with this?

Thank you.

wifeofnamvet responded:
Mandyelizabeth87...I am sorry for the tragic loss of your friend......first I am not an expert of any kind or a counselor....just sharing my thoughts...I think that the loss of your friend is like that of people who have lost loved ones around a holiday time...and your event seems to occur a few months before your birthday...I am glad you are not lonely in your life, but the loneliness after a dream reminds us that we miss the people that were close to us and are no longer in our everyday lives.....although your dreams aren't as happy as they could be...just maybe your mind is keeping his memory close at heart and that can bring you comfort...I wish you the best...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 25 years of age and a full time student/worker. I am not sure what to put here but that I am on here for several reasons.....

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.