Skip to content
grief from death of a spouse and hormones
jlbelanger posted:
My husband recently died after an extended illness. During that illness, i did a lot of not-crying (in front of him, anyway), because as a handyman, an inability to fix what was wrong (i.e. his health) made him crazy. Since his death, i haven't done much crying, either---part habit, and part not having the right circumstances giving me the freedom to weep. Question: Can prolactin build up from un-shed tears to the point where there is a pseudo-lactation going on? I know when our littlest child died, i saw behaviors and thoughts that resembled what i call "1st trimester insanity"; i just wonder what other effects grief can have on one's hormonal balance.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
That's an interesting question, Jlbelanger, but I'm afraid no one here can answer that. I'm not a health expert but have not heard of this.

Grief involves so much, including levels of 'insanity' at times. Be gentle with yourself. You've already been through so much and it will take time to really heal.

Give to yourself too, whether that means gathering supportive friends around you, going for a walk out in nature, listening to music, redecorating, anything that helps you keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My wife had many serious illnesses, and had even broken an arm and a leg last year. She came back from both injuries. I was her caregiver, and was abl...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.