Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How does my mom cope with rhe death of of spouse of 49 years of marriage?
doodledeb posted:
My fahter died almost three years ago.. My mother has pretty much grieved normally. However, My three sisters and have noted lately increasing symptoms of not feeling in control of her life, she gets angered easily and over small things. is hypercritical about anyone in the family, down to one year old and upto 50 years old. Her tone of voice sharp, hateful and just plain mean. You can not have a normal conversation with her attiitude. She is always cocked and ready to go.I am wandering if she e going through severe depression stage. she still misses my father deeply, and extremely lonely at night or whe n family leaves from short extended visits. I f you have any helpful information I would truly appreciate it.
Sincerely Dbbie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Debbie,

I'm not an expert but I'm wondering... Does she have other friends in her life? It sounds like she could use more support around her, more activities, etc., in which to be involved. Try helping her find these.

But it may be worth having a discussion with her and sharing you and your sisters' concerns, not in an accusatory way but out of concern.

You can help by looking for support groups in her area, other social groups, church groups (if she's so inclined) and encourage her to see her doctor. Help is out there for her, whether there's something physical or emotional going on.

Living alone can be extremely difficult, no matter how much family may be around during the days.

Spotlight: Member Stories

All I can say about myself is that I am 50yrs. of age and just experienced the greatest losses of my life. I have made alot of wrong turns in the ro...More

Helpful Tips

lost my son in dec.10
New here so I'm trying to post to get answers for my greive & maybe even to help someone else?I'm looking for a good group who I can ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.