Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I miss my mom the way she used to be.
kimroemer posted:
I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for me. My mom is still living at 84, but is suffering from mini strokes and dementia. We have always been best friends through my whole life up until a few years ago when she had her first stroke. Since then she has been failing in her memory and physically etc. I miss being able to talk to her about my life and her life and just having her as my friend and confidant. Don't get me wrong I am so very thankful that I have such a wonderful mother, but I miss her the way she used to be. It's almost like she's already gone. If anyone has advise on how to cope with this I would appreciate it. I have 3 sisters and 1 brother and I haven't talked to any of them about it yet. Maybe I should. They may be feeling the same way.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kim,

It would be worth a discussion with your siblings. But even if they don't feel the same, that doesn't mean how you are feeling is unusual at all.

I encourage you to repost on our Alzheimer's Community . While your mother may not have Alzheimer's, how it's impacting her and you may be similar and others there may have some thoughts to share.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a disabled mother of three girls (all teenagers) and little did we know our lives would all change on Aug 6th, 2009. We had just moved into a bra...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.