Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I was fourteen when my mother passed from cancer
An_247829 posted:
Its practically been four years sense it happened, she was very healthy, and within three months of being diagnosed with it she practically withered away so quickly. My father died when i was two, my mother died when I was fourteen very close to my birthday. I haven't been the same sense the first day she came home sick from the chemo. im 18 now, and I find myself coming in and out of my depression. I just feel very alone. Its just hard i Guess. Any help or advise is well appreciated. Thank you for reading.

gardensparrow responded:
Oh, my heart went out to you as I read your post. It must have been so hard to lose your mom so quickly and your grief is completely understandable.

But, it does seem like you want to find a way to work through what you're feeling and find some healing in your life. So, I wondered if you've ever looked into any counseling for yourself? I know that can make a huge difference in dealing with emotions and struggles like these.

Another option might be a grief support group you could attend and talk with others in your shoes. For instance, while working at Focus on the Family, I've heard of an organization called GriefShare (griefshare.org) that will help you connect with a group in your area. So, it might be worth checking them out if you have a moment.

Lastly, if you're a reader, there's a lot of great material out their on working through grief that you may want to pick up or look for at the library. In particular, Experiencing Grief by H. Norman Wright and When Grief Comes by Kirk H. Neely might be encouraging.

Well, I hope some of these suggestions are helpful. I'll definitely be praying for you as you deal with the loss of your mom!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I know life has it's ups and downs, & even in my sorrow I still have wonderful things going on in my life. I am writing this to get all of my ...More

Helpful Tips

lost my son in dec.10
New here so I'm trying to post to get answers for my greive & maybe even to help someone else?I'm looking for a good group who I can ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.