Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lost my son 8/09
Lostmomofmorethanone posted:
I never thought my day would play out the way it did. I couldn't get ahold of my 23 year old son so being mom I went to check on him. I found him already gone. Passed. I tried to save him but it was too late. I am the only one that saw him. I was glad I had alot of friend in high places to save the rest of the family from the nightmares. Now I live with them. I have lost grandparents and I have lost my dad. I am now helping my mom though 4th stage liver cancer. All of that stuff I can possess and get through. But Losing my son I am having a big problem with. I don't know what to do! Can anyone Please help me through this or suggest something that will help. I have 2 step kids still at home and a 15 year old son at home that looks identical to the son I lost. It would be greatly appreciated. I am getting no help frome the rest of the family or from the older kids that have moved out. I don't know what to do!

Lostmomofmorethanone responded:
I don't know if you are suppose to reply to your own message but it's been another one of those days. I took mom to the hospital to get her chemo treatment and her blood levels were way off so they couldn't do it. They found alot of fluid in her lungs that they think are coming from her scirocis of the liver but its filling up faster now. Scotty, the son that I lost is always the one that I go to about this stuff to talk about and he helps me through it but he isn't here anymore to ride over with us or talk about it. I miss talking to him about it. The rest of the family doesn't call mom or visit mom, they have pretty much written her off. Even her grandkids. The only people in the family that she sees is me, her oldest daughter, my husband, and our three kids that we have left at home. Scotty would come visit every day and call constantly. Every where I look for answers and everything I think I think of Scotty and if he was here it would all be better. He was no angel being a 23 year old man but when I needed something he was there! And it didn't matter what it was! We were best friends. My 25 year old daughter doesn't come around anymore. We have seen her trice since the funeral and it hurts my youngest son and me! Eventually found out that Mom is getting alot worse. her liver is shutting down faster now. I feel i could be doing more but don't know what. If I wasn't so wrapped up in missing Scotty maybe I would be doing something different! The holidays are coming and me and Scotty would put the christmas lights up together! I don't know how I'm even gonna be able to do that! My husband is trying but he is trying to give me space and says Scotty wasn't an angel just remember that but your gonna get mad ievery time I say that to you! No he wasn't an Angel BUT HE WAS MY SON! AND I MISS HIM SOO MUCH! How do I handle both things at once? I am going crazy! Please help me!

Cacynia replied to Lostmomofmorethanone's response:
Dear Lostmomofmorethanone,
Don't try to handle everything at once. You are not going crazy! You are grieving! You lost a big important part of you. I myself have not lost a son, so I won't pretend to know what you are feeling. What I will tell you, is that thinking of what it feels like to have lost my Mom (who was/is my Best Friend-my go to person), you're hurting BIG time. And right now it feels like you aren't strong enough to handle it.
Please don't feel like you aren't doing enough for your mom. She might not be able to tell you or doesn't know how to put it in words, but she is grateful for your love and company. What you are giving her by being there to help and support her, is far more than what any doctors can do. Talk with your mom share with her your favorite memories of your childhood, times that you and Scotty shared with her, etc. Tell her how much she means to you. This will be a comfort for both of you.
Continue to talk to Scotty, tell him how and what you're feeling. Tell Scotty your favorite memories of him. He is with you and talking will help. Won't cure, but will help.
Scotty sounds like he was a great person. Though, he may not have been an angel, He still could be counted on to be there when the chips were down. That is huge!
I don't know if your son's passing was recent, but it sounds as if it was, so that will make things harder to process. You have a lot going on, all at once. Try to take a few moments during the day, to have some me time. Even if it is only five minutes, use it to write down a memory, look at photos, feel the grief and let it out. Breathe deeply. You can do this, You are Scotty's Mom! Remember to take it one step at a time. (and those steps are baby steps) Feel free to write back, it won't fix everything, but it will help. I hope what I said can help you. ((((Hugs))))

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 47 year old married mother of two. I've been married for almost 23 years and our children are 20 and 17. We are very close to my family. We...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.