Skip to content
Lost my dad to Lung Cancer in Sept. '12
she443 posted:
I lost my dad to Lung Cancer on 9-4-12. He had just turned 59 yrs old about 3 weeks prior. I didn't know my dad was sick. He went to the hospital a week before his birthday. A day after his birthday he's called into the doctor's office, he leaves saying "I'm dead" to my mother. Less than 2 weeks later, on 9-1-12, I get a call from my mom stating my dad was at the hospital and had 24-48 hrs to live. I was blindsided... I had to work that day, but when I walked into work I told my co-worker what was going on and she said leave. Scared, confused and alone I left and went to the hospital. I asked a nurse where my dad was. She introduced me and walked me to his room- my dad was dying... The shock and confusion was overwhelming. I cried violently. I hyperventilated. I tried to get my composure, so I could be there for my dad. I reassured him that I was there. I knew he was scared. He's always been scared of death. No one could bear to be in the hospital with him, but I couldn't bear to leave him alone. I spent the night there the first night, listening to him awake from nightmares or get a glimpse of the living nightmare. I was trying my best to make sure that he was okay- if one can ever be "okay" when they are dying... I got to spend time with my dad, albeit he wasn't coherent the majority of the time, but I was there. A few friends and family came by and left in utter horror. I stayed as much as I could over the next 4 days. The last day he was here, my dad wasn't responsive. I knew the end was nearing. No matter how difficult it was on me to be there, I am so grateful that I was there during my father's hours of need. I was the one being strong for all of my family who couldn't be. I was there when he took his final breaths. I mourned like only an eldest child, a daddy's little girl could. The nurses went to turn him from side to side and that's when his time was called. It was shortly after 4 pm on 9-4-12. I miss my dad everyday. There's so much that we never got to do. He will never physically be there for the "big" moments in my life, if they ever do come, marriage, kids, etc. He missed the birth of his first grandchild by 4 days. I will have to tell my niece about my dad, the grandpa that she'll never get to meet. Here I am about 4 months after my dad passed, I can't sleep and my face is wet and swollen while typing this. I miss you dad... It was my first holidays without my dad, my first birthday without my dad. 23 years earlier, my dad's father passed away from Lung Cancer as well. I have quit smoking, but my younger brother has not- I am terrified that history will repeat itself. I do not want to be the 3rd generation to die of Lung Cancer, nor do I want my brother to either. I am mourning the loss of my father, the plans we never got to keep, the memories we never got to make, the new day that he will never see. Although my heart is heavy, I am so very grateful that I was there with him when he needed someone the most. I was there, and I will always cherish that time, no matter how difficult it may have been on me- it was surely much harder on him. I love you dad. I miss you dad. I hope that you are resting in peace, no more pain, no more suffering. Love your Big Girl

gardensparrow responded:
Oh, thanks for sharing, friend. My heart was breaking for you as I read your story. You sound like an amazing daughter who was there for her dad in his time of need. But, I know dealing with the aftermath of grief is not easy. So, I just wanted to say that someone out there is praying for you. Also, if you haven't thought of this already, I wanted to suggest that you consider talking with a counselor or joining a grief support group to work through your pain. I know there's an organization called GriefShare that might be able to connect you with a group. It's just so hard to go through this alone. Lastly, I recently heard a broadcast while at Focus on the Family on dealing with the loss of a loved one (http://bit.ly/S7i36W ). So, just FYI in case it might be helpful. Hang in there!

Spotlight: Member Stories

the year 2009 was an extremely bad year for me and my son. my brother passed away suddenly in march, followed by my other brother in october and then ...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.