Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My daddy just died and I can't deal with it
gatorfan30 posted:
My daddy just passed on Dec 13th 2012. He was only 54 yrs old. He died of sudden cardiac death. He had no heart problems or medical condtions. I'm having a very hard time dealing with his death. I hadn't talked to him or seen him since Thanksgiving. With his death being so sudden, I'm still in shock. I feel numb to my core. I listen to his voicemail message all the time. It doesn't seem real. I just want to talk to him or hug him one more time. I would give anything for that. My faith has helped me some but i'm still so much in shock. I never got to say goodbye. I feel depressed and like my head is in a fog all the time. I recently got fired so that makes it worse. I just miss my daddy so much and I don't know how to deal. I have physical heart pain often. My hair is falling out. Sometimes I eat, sometimes I don't. It's hard to go on with life but I have to. I'm a wife and a mother of 2 young children. They keep me so busy that I feel like I haven't quite had the time to grieve. I don't know what to do. Any comments or advice? I really need the help and have no money for a therapist.

Illbethere responded:
Just cry and let it out. Sometimes we try to be the tough one and hold things in. But truly, you will never stop missing or loving him. He was your Daddy and we are all Daddy's girl. My Grandma taught all of us a very special thing when Grandpa died and it has made me more aware of how thin the veil really might be. She would pray to Heavenly Father in her mind and heart that she could talk to her husband and would tell him how much she loved him. One night during her prayer she remembered that only Heavenly Father can hear our quiet prayers so she started talking to her husband out loud. She said when she did this it was like something warm just enveloped her like a hug and from then on she felt her husbands presence during these out loud prayers. She told all of us to do it so her son tried it and he felt someone holding his hands. It scared him a bit that he didn't do it again. I have so many stories of examples of this that it is amazing. Sometimes our loved ones visit us in dreams. Sometimes we are unaware of their presence. And sometimes it is hard to be in tune with these experiences. But we have been given the blessing of the Holy Ghost to provide us with peace and comfort. We have our faith of knowing that we will see them again. Without this knowledge I think losing our loved ones to death would be the hardest thing to experience. Try it and let us know. We are all in this together.

ttomm1946 replied to Illbethere's response:
It will get better...right now support groups may help..I been in one over 7 years because of the friends i've made there.

Hang in there...when i read these posts such as yours i feel like crying myself
Tom

gatorfan30 replied to Illbethere's response:
I really appricate your encouraging words. I do pray all the time and nothing seems to work. I will take your advice and follow through. Thank you for your kind words and support!

gatorfan30 replied to ttomm1946's response:
Your sweet. I have thought about support groups. Right now it's hard enough just opening up here on the computer. I really appriciate your advice. Thank you!

AkariMoon responded:
I too lost my mother in July of 2012. She was of good health the only thing she had was high blood pressure. She was also 55 years old. I can tell you that for her life was different after her mother had passed away april of that same year. It wasnt easy just having to come home to the empty house. Most of all on holidays when she would be preparing things. Its been a few months now and sometimes I still find myself remembering the little things she would say or do and letting out my emotions. I think we all grieve in different ways and it helps sometimes to just cry or let yourself feel what you need to feel. Its never easy to one day having them there and then waking up and never seeing them again. But most will agree it does get better over time. I am deeply sorry for your loss and know what it feels like too.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tina I'm 20. I live in Portland Oregon. I moved here in 2005 from Phoenix Az. My father passed away a year later, , from a self inflic...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 27 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.