Skip to content
How to speak to grandson about how his mother passed away?
max1959 posted:
I lost my daughter last year and am now taking care of one of her son's while his older brother is in a group home. The one I am taking care of is going to be 12 this year and he thinks if he goes to sleep he won't wake up because for some reason he thinks thats how she died but it is not how it happened. I need some help on how I should talk to him so he don't feel as though her death is his fault nor his brothers'. She was depressed because of some things that had taken place and didn't want to live any more and I just don't know how I should tell him she took her own life. I feel he is too young and as it stands he knows she was on some meds and was drinking which was a bad thing and that it was an accadent. Should I tell him other wise or wait?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My wife had many serious illnesses, and had even broken an arm and a leg last year. She came back from both injuries. I was her caregiver, and was abl...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.