Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dealing with the grief of a loved one?
alli_95 posted:
I'm in high school, and for an end of the year project, we are researching an essential question based on the novel of our choice.My novel is "Fly Away" by Kristin Hannah and my essential question is "What role does grief and losing a loved one have on the family unit." I'm here to gather information and stories about what it is like to lose a loved one. If you have any experiences or stories to share, please post here. Anonymous stories are welcomed. I am not here to judge, but to gain perspective on a question that doesn't really get much attention in this day and age.
Thank you for your consideration.

amandabrown responded:
im sure there is a lot of emotions you can gather in general from peoples stories in general. theres a lot of emotions and a lot of people are different

alli_95 replied to amandabrown's response:
I have been lucky enough to not have experienced someone close to me passing away. Therefore, I want to gain perspective on the emotions surrounding this experience, because I have never felt that way before.

An_255163 responded:
Alli, my name is Shelby McDaniel. We have had two of our sons to die in the last 5 years. Paul, 22, a senior in college died of a stroke Sept. 14, 2008. We donated his organs. His heart recipient comes to see us every year. Ben,30, went cave diving and never resurfaced Aug. 18, 2010. We have been unable to locate his body! We are grief leaders in our church. The death of a child is the ultimate loss a person can endure. It leaves a hole in your heart, and in our hearts there are two holes. We are trying to create a "new normal" in our lives. It is a journey we wish on no parent. Part of us has died, we will never be the same. We are able to function mainly because we know they are in Heaven with Jesus. There is so much share about pain and tragedy and grief. Grieving is a process. You take one day at a time. You try not to allow exile yourself. We have found if a person can share his/her grief with a group they will be able to function better. We still cry, but we laugh at times. Holidays, birthdays and the dates of their deaths are difficult to manage. ( Why are you interested in this subject ? ) You can contact me on Facebook or smcdani6@comcast.net .

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 47 year old married mother of two. I've been married for almost 23 years and our children are 20 and 17. We are very close to my family. We...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.