Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Death Sucks and Dad Isn't Going To "Heaven"
Tsarina_Becca posted:
I know a lot of you believe when someone dies there is a "Heaven" and the hopeful promise of an "Afterlife". Working in a hospital for many years has not only made me cynical of this absurd notion, but seeing my only father's body pickled with embalming fluid didn't make me a believer either. My two younger sisters needed a spiritual outlet during the visitation and funeral. I, instead, sat in a ugly, cheap, uncomfortable wooden pew and stared at the body of one of the two people on the planet who gave me life. I was FULLY AWARE my father wasn't there. I cried like a baby. I will NEVER again feel his big, strong arms around me. I will NEVER see him again. I'm angry. Life is terribly difficult to live through and then we all die. If I seem cyncial, I totally am. Maybe my father's death would seem easier for me if I believed in the impossible, but I am confident in my opinion that there are no "Angels of Mercy" to wing us all to an imaginary set of pearly white gates. I loved my father while he was alive. I love him still now that he is gone. We only get the one life. My only hope is that my father didn't suffer long from his Sudden Cardiac Arrest.

lulu9999 responded:
I know how you feel I just lost my father and I miss him so much.. and I feel the same as you a little like whats the point in life if you lose everything, you get hurt, you lose the ones you love and you then die one day as well. its very sad... but you have to be faithful and if your not religious just pray life will get easier and hopefully things work out and you fond your purpose,, im still looking for that. its really hard..and day by day its not getting easier for me.

glitterandglam responded:
I'm so sorry for both of your losses and the grief you're going through.

My father died from cancer when I was just 9 years old. However, my parents parted ways shortly after I was born, my mom never remarried, and I never had a 'dad' or father figure in my life. When I was around 8 I started to wonder why all my friends had dads, but I didn't. I asked my mom and she was able to find him living in California. She first contacted his father, my paternal grandpa, and informed him who she was and why she was calling, and explained that, ""026Frank (my dad) had a daughter and she wants to meet him." My grandpa probably had to sitting down because he didn't even know I existed. So that was a shock to him. Then he said, "I'll help you contact him and get in touch so she can meet him, but there's something you need to know. "026Frank's been diagnosed with cancer and has about 3 months left to live."

Living in Vegas, we made 3 trips to California to see him. I don't remember any of the visits with the exception of the first one, and only the moment he opened the door. I saw a man in powder blue pajama pants, a white cotton t-shirt, and it was obvious he was very ill.

Our 4th trip for a Thanksgiving visit was cancelled because my Dad's health further declined. He died on November 4th, 1995. He would have been 49 on November 10th. Ironically not only his birthday, but also the birthday of the USMC, and he served as a Marine in Vietnam.

Sorry to digress -- I just have to explain the situation so people know my loss is a different type. I never knew my Dad so that's a different type of grief than what you folks are experiencing. Some people say I'm lucky I didn't know him. I couldn't disagree more. I'm 27 now and still struggling with his death.

I'm an atheist and have been for many years. I completely agree with the views and opinions on the non-theist aspect.

I think Dr. Jack Kevorkian put it best: "You live, you die, period." Death is death. And without using any 4-letter or 'bad' words, I must agree: death sucks.

TDXSP08 replied to glitterandglam's response:
My father Died in 2009 and i did not shed a tear, I had not seen the Jerk in 32 Years,he Murdered my Mother almost succeed in killing me and then vanished for 32 years . I was adopted by a single Woman who was a Psychologist and made sure I grew up to be nothing like him,I became an Honorable Man who both as a career and as a volunteer made my community a better place, Until having to Medically Retire and go on Compassionate Social Security due to illnesss, and i do not subscribe to the theory of a physical "heaven" or "hell" but I do believe people can become trapped in the "hell"they create in their own minds and suffer endlessly from their own prison.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Putting me into words... To know me is to love me. I am not a complicated person; however people tend to complicate me because they misunderstand my ...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.