Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mother's Day Loss
sablechica posted:
My beautiful, vibrant mother passed away on Mother's Day 2012. I'd just visited her and she was having some asthma issues, but assured me to go to work (as she'd done previously many times). I went, but called to check on her and didn't get an answer. So I left work and called the police. When I arrived, it was too late. She'd died. She was my best friend. Her passing and me finding her body has cause some psychological and emotional scars. I break down and cry almost daily. My brother (and only other sibling) after hearing of her passing came and claimed her property and pretty much waged war on me over her belongings. I feel like I have no one to talk to in my family. So as a result, I've started drinking daily to try and numb myself. I'd like to go to counseling, but I don't think they'd truly understand my pain. I feel all alone. I need help. Any advice would be helpful.

therapistjonmemphis responded:
Ms Sablechica,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a parent is so challenging for children, and often times as a way to cope with the feelings of anger people take it out on the remaining family members. Sometimes this can go on for awhile. I would encourage you to seek help through a grief recovery group, or even individual counseling. Your experience would qualify as what therapists' would call complicated grief, and the fact that you cry daily makes sense based on what you have been through.
Best wishes with your recovery through this loss
Jon

sablechica replied to therapistjonmemphis's response:
Thank you therapistjonmemphis. I'm currently seeking counseling. Thank you for listening.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 25 years of age and a full time student/worker. I am not sure what to put here but that I am on here for several reasons.....

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.