Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Termination at 20
kaylanne21 posted:
On march 22 2013, i was forced to make the hardest decision of my life. February i had discovered that i was a month pregnant. I fell very ill and my body had crashed. I didn't eat, sleep or even drink water and the physical pain was unreal. I was diagnosed with a mental illness at the time and was taking hard medication for it. I had demanded to be taken off of it in order to attempt to reverse the damage done but it made everything WORSE. I was brought to the emergency room at 2am and was diagnosed with sever dehydration and exhaustion. An emergency ultra sound was ordered and the doctor had said my body was rejecting the baby, and because physically i was unable to function it was taking fluid and nutrients from my organs.His exact words were "If by some chance you could continue only one or neithier of you would have survived" and that morning my heart shattered. I followed threw with the termination and i haven't been the same since.I know that at 20 years old physically, mentally and financially i was in no position to have a child. A child is a gift from god and should be treated as such. My mother tells me that "God indeed gave me a gift, but his gift was given at the wrong time." Im so torn up inside and i am HAUNTED by my choice to terminate. Has anyone experienced this type of loss before or know someone who has? if so advice and ideas are much needed. Please and thank you.

therapistjonmemphis responded:
Kaylanne,
I'm a therapist in Memphis TN. Your story is very similar to many young women I have spoken to. I think you are very brave to ask for help. I encourage you to look for a therapist, or grief support group in the area you live. Depending on your interests and beliefs, other groups such as Celebrate Recovery can also be really beneficial for people.
Good Luck
Jon

Spotlight: Member Stories

I lost my dad 3 weeks ago and it seems as if I just saw him in his casket right before the funeral. I am 52 years old and having a really hard time co...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.