Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Welcome to Grumpy Groupies!!! This group is open to every one. I hope that all my buddies will join and use it often. Sad or happy, NO discussion is taboo. I do ask that you use Trigger in the title when necessary. Hopefully we can have fun and also support those who are having a hard time. Muahs
Cooking
mommaange1 posted:
Does anyone have a quick meal they cook up? really quick?

Mine is this: I cook up white rice then for the sause I make Campbells large can of chicken soup, a small can of chix and muchroom soup and a container of sourcream. I cook of some chicken and add it in. Pour it over rice a wala dinner.

skypper responded:
Jambalaya:
I chop approx 1 lb of polish sausage, turkey sausage or hot links, lightly brown in a saucepan w/a lil oil, add a 24 oz can of chopped tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, throw in some italian spices and some chili powder OR tabasco sauce, add a pkg of frozen chopped 3 pepper & onion blend (it has red,yellow & green peppers), leave that to simmer while i boil some noodles, usually i like linguine, but you can really use any kind...

then serve noodles with the jambalaya on top....the recipe i had called for rice, you could even use that 5 minute instant rice, but everyone in my house likes it best with noodles

oh side note: if you use hot links or spicy sausage you don't really need to add extra spice like hot sauce or chili powder unless you like to have a little extra kick
This dish takes me less than half an hour but feels like a good homecooked-slaved-in-the-kitchen-all-day-meal :)

bpcookie responded:
You guys go to way too much trouble to cook. I just brown hamburger and follow the directions on the Hamburger helper box.
When all else fails, go Bipolar all over their azzes!!

mommaange1 replied to bpcookie's response:
My family would have a heart attack. If its not a time consuming receipt, they wont eat. I have to watch the food network for new ideas and then half the time they dont like it. I made this perfectly good pasta creation and dh wouldnt eat it because he could see the diced tomato in it. He told me he was going to mcdonalds. I hate dinner time

skypper replied to bpcookie's response:
I can't eat most pre-made foods, especially anything with a pre-made sauce, like speggetti sauce, hamburger helper, tuna helper, taco mix, etc...it makes me so sick it's not even worth eating due to my GERD I can't eat a most of that stuff, which is why i learned to make my own sauces, i can't even drink gatorade without getting sick because of the HUGE amounts of sodium it has...so unfortunately i must cook, its good, but someday i get tired and wish i could just have a big mac or something without it making me sicker than hell

slik_kitty responded:
put chicken in an electric skillet and add salsa and water and let cook. cook rice, add salsa and cheese. takes about an hour to cook, but its a minimum prep meal and it's a hit with the boys.

put country style ribs in a slow cooker with a bottle of bbq sauce and a little water. let cook all day. after work make mashed taters and a veggie.

skypper replied to slik_kitty's response:
thanks for reminding me to put my meat in the slow cooker miss kittypants! :p

mommaange1 replied to skypper's response:
What is a good salsa that isnt chunk?? My family is scared of tomato's you can actually see. I guess I could put them in the food processor and grand them to sause. Do you put the cheese on the rice or on the chicken

Indiaguerita replied to mommaange1's response:
Valdez has a green salsa that is really good.

The other salsas that I can think of (store bought) are all chunky.

I make my own salsa at home...if you blend it long enough it will be as smooth as butter.

Here's a quick recipe:

Red Salsa (medium to spicy)

5 to 6 Dried Chile Secos (or Chile Japonesa) These can be found in the Mexican or Ethnic aisle of any grocery store in a small, clear bag. (Probably will be near the spices.)

1/2 a white onion

Two to three cloves of garlic

4 to 5 firm roma tomatoes

Preparation:

Fry all of the ingredients in a tablespoon of cooking oil. When the the onions and tomatoes are a little browned, throw all into a blender and add about a 1/2 cup of water.

Add salt for flavor.

You can add more chiles...but beware that these chiles are extremely spicy. My husband likes the salsa to catch fire (lol) so I put about 20 to 30 peppers in mine.

Takes about 10 minutes to make.

-Laura

Indiaguerita replied to Indiaguerita's response:
This salsa recipe was handed down to me by my mother-in-law, a native of Mexico.

This salsa is very different than American-style salsa.

It might not be the type of salsa you're looking for...but it will be delicious.

skypper replied to Indiaguerita's response:
true i make a green chile thats super easy

tomatoes

tomatillos (little green tomatoes)

jalepenos (add about 1 chile per 2 tomatoes)

wash, peel, de-stem the above, place in a small pot w/just enough water to cover, boil till red tomatoes start to peel slightly, about 5 minutes, throw tomatoes and jalepeno's into blender with about a 1/4 cup water and add salt to taste, blend it up, pour in a jar and viola! you have green chile that in my house lasts about a week...refrigerated of course

slik_kitty replied to skypper's response:
my green chili has no tomatoes in it. chop up some green chilies, onions and jalapenos. brown in butter. add water and let simmer. i normally season with garlic salt and oregano. adding cilantro is good too. let simmer till the liquid is mostly gone. if you find you have too much liquid in the end, add flour to thicken.

best served with chili rellenos. slice one side of the chili. put in a slice of monterey jack cheese. separate the yolks from the egg whites. beat the whites till you get a stiff peak. beat the yolks and fold in the egg whites. dip the chilis in the egg mixture to get a good coating and cook in butter. using just the egg whites works quite well too.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am happily married to BipolarGal. She is a handful and I love her.

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 1
these will knock your socks off. snowy finally got her drooling smilie! copy the url below. click on add image above the posting window. ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 42 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.