Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Welcome to Grumpy Groupies!!! This group is open to every one. I hope that all my buddies will join and use it often. Sad or happy, NO discussion is taboo. I do ask that you use Trigger in the title when necessary. Hopefully we can have fun and also support those who are having a hard time. Muahs
Native Spiritual Perspective - Poss Trigger?
mercygive posted:
Cookie

I'm beginning to think my spirit animal is a salamander because they are all over my house. I don't know what my spirit animal is, but when I was in my early 30s I started reading a lot of books about Native history, folklore, medicine men (women), home remedies, music and I even got a tape and book to try to learn the language. I think there was someone that designed computer fonts for the Sequoyah alphabet so that the Cherokee people can blog and email in their language. My grandmother never suggested I find my spirit animal because she wanted me to put my hope in Jesus. Anyway, I was curious and asked myself that same question.

In one of the books that I read to find your spirit animal (guide) suggested finding a dark place to meditate with a small lit candle set behind you for the journey into the underworld. So, I went into deep meditation and I had a vision (some would say a huge imagination) and found myself in an underground cavern with still water and the stone wall to the right of me began to burn and a fire melted a round hole in the rock, and a large fire-colored snake came through the burning rock. I grabbed ahold of it and it took me into the water to the far other side and then brought me back safely to the shore and disappeared into the burning rock — it was short journey. After that, I always wondered if the snake was my spirit animal. But you know, not many would take a shovel and a hedge trimmer to kill their spirit animal LOL

Here's another story. Shortly after my dh and I married, we were in bed at night and he was reading and I was just resting. I had the strong sensation that something had crawled out of the wall along my side of the side bed and walked down to the end of my bed and I knew it was going to show itself to me and I began to panic. And as soon as I had the thought, a wolf spirit jumped on my chest and I could feel the weight of the spirit and it growled at me and showed its teeth. I jumped out of our bed so fast and ran into the kitchen.

I told my grandmother about the vision and she said I had an enemy. When I started having all those memories come back in March 2011, the memories that make me paranoid now, she was right, I had an enemy at the time - an evil enemy. I think my grandmother's spirit is helping me to remember these memories for a reason and maybe she is trying to caution me that danger is close again. I sure feel like it is. I don't know about you, but the Native side of my family has a unique spiritual perspective.

Here is my raven dream. It was dark and stormy and I was seeking shelter in a barn. I went in and it was sheltering hundreds of ravens. I wanted the barn to myself so I got a water hose and sprayed the ravens and their nests. I closed the doors, waited a moment, and went back inside. OOOhhhh — spooky! The ravens were all lined up in the shape of a giant airplane and all of their eyes were glowing yellow.

Here is my buffalo hat dream. I was walking through a dressing room that had swim suits hanging all around. I walked to the last dressing room on my right, went inside, and saw a table that had a buffalo hat with horns sitting on it. I put the buffalo hat on and turned around a saw a tall smiling Native woman with long hair and a thick beaded belt around her jeans. I realized I was wearing her hat and started to take it off and she said, "No, go ahead and wear it." I put it on again and she made the sound of the owl - woot, woot, woot. I looked at the wall and there was a painting of a large group of Natives walking through a beautiful meadow with the greenest grass I have ever seen. About a year later, I was sitting outside in the backyard with my grandmother and suddenly she made the sound of the owl - woot, woot, woot. I never understood why she did that. Within the year she passed away.

bpcookie responded:
Wow, That is very very interesting. For you to have those visions and those dreams. I am kinda of jealous. I dont normally have dreams of animals. Except nightmares of the dogs that I used to own and also dreams of the dog that I own now.

Wolves are my favorite animals. I have wolf statuettes, wolf nick nacks, wolf paintings, I have some wolf fur and also wolf toe nails. My husband has always been interested in Apache indians, even before we met. So he was surprised to find out that I was part Apache. I have great love and respect for Apaches and for all Indians. My husbands has collected all sorts of Indian items.

If it were up to me, I would pick the Wolf to be my spirit animals but I was told that the Raven was my spirit animal. Once I have lived out in the middle of farm country and there was this Indian woman, medicine woman and she would come and go. We never knew where she would go and never knew when she would show up again. One day she came to my house and gave me a black feather and told me that the Raven was my spirit animal. Another time she showed up at my door with a book and some cards, all brand new and still in the wrapping. They were tarot (sp) cards. She gave them to me for free, she told me that her spirit animal told her to give me these. Then when she sat on my couch she went into a trance and said that she saw many spirit dogs around me. She pointed out where they were and what kind of dogs they were. They were dogs that had passed on and were drawn to me.

Me and my mother also did Indian art and sold it all over the place. My most exciting moment was the first time that someone bought one of my items and put it in their store.

Thanks for sharing your story honey. I just love hearing things like that.
When all else fails, go Bipolar all over their azzes!!

bpcookie replied to bpcookie's response:
Mercy, where did you go?? I was enjoying the convo.

mercygive replied to bpcookie's response:
I love hearing stories like this too. That is interesting that a medicine woman was in your home in a trance and that she said something about the dog spirits being attracted to you. Maybe the spirits were the dogs you once had. That's too bad you have nightmares about the dogs you once had. Just to get it off my chest, my little Rueben was very sick the last month or so and we couldn't get him well. It hurt me more to watch him suffer than to put him asleep (last Friday). The house is too quiet and dh says no more pets — ever. We had three dogs and Rueben was the last of the three to go (:

That's very cool that your husband had an interest in the Apache people before he met you. I can understand why anyone would want to have wolf nick nacks, but what do you do with the toe nails and why do you have them? Just curious. Yes. I would like to have the wolf as my spirit animal too because they are a sensitive, loving, smart and that just fits my personality perfectly lol Have you ever seen the movie 'Never Cry Wolf'? You should rent it sometime. It is about a scientist who goes to Alaska to study wolves.

Maybe when you start to feel better with the LCS surgery you will want to do something with your art work again. Some years ago dh and I went to Tahlequah, OK and went to the museum and I was amazed with how the Cherokee basket weaving was so intricate — the baskets are so beautiful and expensive. Another time we went to Tulsa, OK to an arts center and bought a painting title 'Two Paths'. It's painted white like snow with two wolf paw prints and inside the foot prints tell the story and are smaller paintings of the natives who struggled to survive the trail of tears. I'll try to take a photo and post it here. They also invited everyone to join in the 'circle of life' dance were everyone holds hands and steps to the drum beat. I didn't do it, but I will next time I go or if I go to a powwow and people are invited to dance.

Have you ever tried growing or preparing herbs or plants for healing?

bpcookie replied to mercygive's response:
Mercy Honey, Im so sorry about your fur baby. OMG, where have I been? I didnt know your baby had past. I feel like such a horrible friend. Sweetie pie, if your having any difficulties and would like to talk, you have my number honey. Just give me a phone call.

You didn't miss anything. This is my first post about my dog. You're a great friend to have and hope enjoyed your weekend.

If you have any thing that you would like to discuss regarding your fur baby, just give me a call. I would be more than happy to help you as best as I could. Ive been through it many times myself and I have helped many friends who have lost their fur babies. love ya hun. muahs

The wolf nails were given to me by my mother. I also have a small amount of wolf fur that was given to me also. I have NO clue where they got the nails or fur.

Oh, is Never Cry Wolf and older movie? I think I saw it. Speaking of wolves. It pisses me off when ranchers kill wolves. The farmers are in the wolves territory. If they dont want the wolves killing their cattle, then they can go live some where else.

When I was an artist, in order to sell our art and do it authentically we had to use real animal fur, such as rabbit. I didnt like to use it. Eventually we started using fake fur but we still had to use leather and goose feathers. I only ever kept one item that I made. I wish I would have kept more.

You should see our house. It is completely decorated with Indian items and of course wolf items. We have three hatchets, a spear, bow and arrow, Kachina doll, two woven baskets, Indian photo's all over the place, a painting that my mother did of me wrapped in an Indian blanket, etc.

Im hoping that I can do a few Indian items before Christmas. I have 5 purses that I made, but I need many more items. Im hoping to have a craft sale for Christmas.

Yes. Never Cry Wolf is an older film — made in the 80s I think. In the film, they show that the wolves only ate diseased caribou which is also probably true for cattle. Ever hear of 'mad cow'? And, they're killing off of the vicious wolves that could be our saving lives!
I can tell that you really miss doing art work. You're still an artist even though you're not working at what you want to do right now. I think that is so endearing that your mother did a painting of you in a blanket. I bet that's your favorite. I don't think I am settled on the 'boots' so I'm going to look for a t-shirt this weekend for the purse. I already have the perfect t-shirt (a wolf encircled with design and feathers), but I get so many compliments wearing it as t-shirt I hate to let go of it.

oops, Im half way done with the purse. LOL. It has a boot that I drew on it and will do the coloring today. Let me know if you still want that one. If you would prefer me to do a purse that you have personally picked out, as in you buying a t-shirt and sending it to me, then thats groovy too. Just let me know dahling. If you dont want the one Im doing now, I will just put it with the others that I have completed and I will sell it with the others. ok?

About that film. Thats when I really learned about Wolves and I fell in love with them. They are so beautiful but so is every animal.

bpcookie responded:
Mercy hun, I was almost done with your purse but then I didnt like the colors because it kinda looked like a Christmas tree. LOL. So Im re-doing the colors. Those cloth paints are so difficult to control too. BUT, I will get it done when Im satisfied that it looks good enough to send to my dear friend.

If you only knew how I dress you would've thought the purse looked good unfinished lol On the other hand, since I'm not known to be a good dresser, the purse is really important !

So, I redone the colors, I didnt like that either, so I redone it again. The I was going to personalize it with your name. I F'd on that. So now Im in the process of fixing that. I want the purse to be pretty but Im having such a difficult time. But, I WILL get it done.

Sometimes when I start a project and it isn't turning out the way I want, I just have to put it on the back burner for a while to clear my mind. I am not in any hurry for mercy's pursy lol I can imagine it would be diffcult to make a boot look perty. You can change the pattern to anything you want because I will like anything you send.

Well, I changed the colors again. LOL. Now it is totally screwed up. LOL. So, I will just have to start on another purse. I will find a better boot or something of the sort. I need buy some more paints cause half of the bottles is on the purse I was making for ya. LOL. It probably weighs 80 lbs because of the paint. I will do one for you though honey.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am happily married to BipolarGal. She is a handful and I love her.

Helpful Tips

Next winter
Don't eat yellow snow. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.