Skip to content

Announcements

Welcome to Grumpy Groupies!!! This group is open to every one. I hope that all my buddies will join and use it often. Sad or happy, NO discussion is taboo. I do ask that you use Trigger in the title when necessary. Hopefully we can have fun and also support those who are having a hard time. Muahs
Unsettling Vent About Plumbers
ibex7 posted:
Okay, so autumn is over, the leaves change color, then fall mercyless on home owners whose backs are already aching from overwork to pay the mortgage. The holiday time is approaching and one morning you discover in the shower, that the hot water valve is leaking and you are losing energy in the water heater its going to cost you a fortune!

So you call the plumber and he tells you he can be there tomorrow.
(says he's always busy) When he tells you it it will be $450 to change the valve, you ask, "Can't you fix it for less than that?"

Then, he changes some rubber washers and springs, and hands you a bill for $92.50 and drives away twenty minutes later.

Just two weeks later, the same little hot water drip begins again and you call the plumber and this time he is so busy, he can't come over for another week.
This time he removes the valve from the shower wall and requotes his original price ($450) to replace the valve. This time you bristle and ask if there is nothing cheaper he can do. This time he takes the old valve "out to his truck" and "rebuilds" it and reinstalls it in the wall. He tells you not to use the shower for 48 hours while the adhesive "sets up".
This time the bill is for $244 and he leaves in a half hour.

Another two weeks pass and, you guessed it, leaking again!

You call the same plumber thinking he will deduct the money you have already paid against the original quote and will install the new valve. Not so, sewer breath!!

This call cost me an accumulated $786.50
!!!! Boy am I mad.

But next time I shower, I'll be thinking about taking a home plumbing course at the local technical college. This racket is too good to pass up!

Ibex
There are times you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

bpcookie responded:
Hey Goat, WTH is wrong with your weird plumber? Our bath tub faucet was leaking and a plumber changed the washers. Same thing happened to me, a few weeks later the dang thing starts leaking again. uuuggghhh

I feel for ya Goat. Plumbers can rip you off and you cant do anything about it because you dont know anything about plumbing. It totally sucks. He should have NEVERED charged you again after the first time. He was supposed to have fixed it, so there for, he screwed up.

Take care Goat
When all else fails, go Bipolar all over their azzes!!

ibex7 replied to bpcookie's response:
I guess the best of the Christmas sales are over. Even Shipping and Handling charges (also too expensive) are again being charged on every package. Overstock items may drop 10 - 15%, butt better discounts on these items will be held until after Christmas Day.

Here's an idea for a great After Christmas Sale game. Have each member of your famiily writie the name of one more present they wish they had received. Write it down along with the best price you had seen advertised. Then pool your money, share the items with all the family, and go shopping Dec. 26 to 30th buying each missed gift at the lowest price you can find. No need to wrap these pressies!

Example: 32" LED flat screen TV at an appliance store, Just $179! (Ok to used pooled funds for this special gift that you will always remember.

bpcookie replied to ibex7's response:
I will buy you the LED flat screen TV. Oh, I wish I had the money to buy everything that everyone wants for Christmas. Right now everything is killer expensive. I wish I could put extra coal in Kitties stocking, but even coal costs too much. bbbuuuwwwaahhhaaaa
When all else fails, go Bipolar all over their azzes!!

Thanks,Cookie,

Awwwwww. Sure I'll have a new TV by February 1st. You have always been one of the boards most giving members. I hope you and all of your family have a super Merry Christmas. _ goat

p.s. My last GI procedure is tomorrow morning. I have high expectations and a good attitkude. Will post a note later.

Score of yesterday's surgery game: Polyps - 1 Me - None. Next game in six months. Otherwise: All good news!

mercygive replied to ibex7's response:
Cheers on your good news!

So far, our plumbing repairs have been minimal. If there is a leak that can be fixed, we shut off the water valve. I know which ones are in and not in use.

There's a hole in my stocking too. I am having gum surgery next month and that is my Christmas gelfie. I got quotes and what the periodontist wants to charge me is within the usual price range so I hesitate to ask if he can give it to me for less.

ibex7 replied to mercygive's response:
Mercy.

While I recognize your well founded reasoning, my hapless male ego is still justifying my case of plumber upset. Newly developed plumbing items are readily available at most hardware stores.

With little homeowner's training, minimal time, and minor costs, there is a fitting similar to a garden hose, suitable for both hot and cold water connections from the basement. Using regular garage type tools, it is easy to install new kitchen and bathroom faucets for a mere fraction of plumber's costs.

Your point is well taken. Money that is not ready for my favorite grandchildren will not ruin or detract from the season of heavenly Peace. The real Gift of Christmas has already
been paid for. - goat

mercygive replied to ibex7's response:
This is the time of year when we would rather be giving and generous to our families and others instead of being caught off guard with expensive emergency home repairs and being held hostage to outrageous labor charges. I am sorry you are not able to be more generous to your grandchildren this year.

Amen for heavenly peace and Merry Christmas to you and your family and joy in all you do

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am happily married to BipolarGal. She is a handful and I love her.

Helpful Tips

Next winter
Don't eat yellow snow. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.