Skip to content
Tylenol PM and Pregnancy
Jess43558 posted:
Does anyone know if during pregnancy you should avoid taking an OTC sleep aid like Tylenol PM or Simply Sleep (as directed on the package - not taken in excess)? I'm 32 weeks and I've had a lot of trouble sleeping throughout my pregnancy and now the sleep deprivation is killing me! One of my friends said it was OK (she said her OB said she could take a prescription sleep med and that it wouldn't affect her baby - she's not had the baby yet, so I'm not sure if that's true or not), but I wondered if anyone else had any idea. Thanks ladies! :smile:

kerrib1971 responded:
Tylenol PM was on my approved medication list. I take it sometimes

wifeyintraining responded:
i heard that sleep aids were a 'no no'. Here on webmd they have a page with a list of approved medicines for pregnancy.. try to look it up.... Also, you could always ask the pharmacist... they are usually friendly and willing to help. Or call your doc. I'd be very leary of taking it though.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
As the previous poster mentioned, we do have a list! Just remember to check with your own doctor since he or she knows your personal medical history and can give the expert answer. Here is an article and a list of medications generally considered safe during pregnancy. Here?s another article that discusses prescription and over-the-counter medications, and herbs and supplements during pregnancy. I hope they help! Byroney

Leslieanne32 responded:
Tylenol PM is perfectly safe, as both Benadryl and Tylenol (the ingredients) are safe in pregnancy. The generic for Unisom is actually what my OB prescribed me during my first trimester to fight morning sickness (it, too is an antihistamine), so I know it is safe. Just be careful with that one...very strong. Don't take any more tha 1/2 pill if you've never taken it before.

wicked_mama responded:
Tylenol PM is actually ok because all it contains is Benadryl and Tylenol and both are safe for pregnant women. My OB actually said that some women take Tylenol PM or Benadryl towards the end of their pregnancy to help them sleep since sleeping becomes really difficult in the 3rd tri. I never did that but it is apparently safe.

traceymc responded:
Im pretty sure that you cant take it. i think that tylenol is all that you really can take. i know how you are feeling though, i went through the same stuff. i felt like i didnt sleep for the last four months of my pregnancy. you might want to check with your doctor though, i am sure that they can give you some advice on how to help you along.. i hope things get better for you.. good luck... :grin:

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.