Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
blighted ovum?
MissOctober16 posted:
At the end of February I found out that I had a blighted ovum, My OBGYN refuses to do a D&C considering other medical issues I have going on, He says that doing a D&C would make me about 90% unfertil. It's not the start of April, I still get the plus sign when I test at the Doctors but my quants are going down, last time they were about 1300, I'd be about 3 1/2 months if I was pregnant. Is there any chance of infection? Will my body just absorb the whole thing or will I have some bleeding? Can I still get pregnant even though I still have quant levels? The father of my baby left when we found out, so I am just starting to see someone new and I want to be sure I'm okay.

wicked_mama responded:
Typically what happens is your body will pass the blighted ovum on its own if you don't have a D&C. You'll start cramping and eventually bleeding. If your HCG levels are going down that means this process has already begun. If it takes too long your doctor can give you something to help the process go a little faster (I believe it is a suppository that you insert into your vagina), which is much less invasive than a D&C. If you don't start bleeding in the next couple of weeks I would suggest contacting your OB to ask about the risk for infection. I am sure your OB is keeping an eye on you anyway to make sure you pass the ovum on your own. I am so sorry for your loss, please keep us posted on how you are doing.

MissOctober16 responded:
It is now April 9th and I just started having some bleeding. so I guess that's a good sign right?? I am doing okay dealing with the loss is really hard but I have realized I'm not the only one out there that has lost a child. People on here are very supportive and understanding. It really helps! Thank you so much!

wicked_mama responded:
In February 2008 I had a miscarriage - also a blighted ovum. I decided to let it pass on its own. I bled for about 4 weeks and then I needed to have an emergency D&C because some tissue got caught in my cervix and the bleeding got really heavy, soaking more than a pad an hour.

I am not telling you this to frighten you - I just thought you should know so that you can keep an eye out for any signs that there might be trouble. If you bleed for more than a couple of weeks, let your doctor know (when I went in to the ER because of the excessive bleeding, my doctor said she was shocked I was still bleeding after 4 weeks - the ovum just wasn't passing on its own like it was supposed to). And if your bleeding becomes very heavy (soaking a pad or more an hour) and/or your cramping becomes almost unbearable, call your doctor or go to an ER right away. Chances are your body will pass the ovum on its own like it's supposed to, but if anything doesn't seem right definitely don't hesitate to see a doctor.

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.