Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can donating blood cause amenorrhea
LotaHossain posted:
My March period should have started on the 17th. It didn't and I took a pregnancy test on the 18th and it was positive. Unfortunately, and extremely sadly and painfully, the pregnancy didn't last- I miscarried on the 21st at about 3 weeks gestation. On March 26th, the bleeding ended. On April 20th, I donated 1 pint of blood to the Red Cross 3 days before my expected period. Normally, I experience (at least lately) 34 days between menses, so my menses should have occurred sometime around April 23. When my menses didn't occur, I took a test on the 24th and the results were negative. Sometimes my menses are a few days early or a few days late, so I would have expected it to start by the 30th, but it didn't. So, then I thought maybe I might have taken the pregnancy test too early to detect levels of hGc in my urine, so I took another pregnancy test on May 4th. Again, the results were negative. It is now the 6th of May, and I've yet to experience even the slightest amount of spotting. I've been experiencing my usual premenstrual symptoms (mood swings, slight weight gain, water-gain, dizziness, breast tenderness and increase in breast size, nausea and uterine cramps- which also are the same as my previous pregnancies' symptoms) since April 18th, but no menstruation. I have been wearing pads everyday since April 24th and everyday I feel a discharge but when I go to check my pad, it is just a normal vaginal discharge (though increased) and not a menstrual discharge. My period is 2 weeks overdue, but I'm apparently NOT pregnant and I have no idea why I'm having an absence of my menses. Nothing out of the ordinary occurred during the month of April and I didn't do anything different other than donating blood. Can donating blood right before your period can cause you to miss/skip your period?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear LotaHossain,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

Your irregular periods could be due to your body getting back on track after the miscarriage, or due to stress, or something else altogether.

You can read more about Missed Periods or Irregular Periodsin these articles. If your concerned, please check with your doctor.

Best wishes,

Byroney

TRACY7999 responded:
actually use to work for the Red Cross 6-7yrs ago. No donating blood would not effect your periods that way, it sounds like your body has not gotten back to normal after your loss. I miscarried on 2005, and at that time my Dr told me to wait 3 cycles before we tried to concieve because sometimes it can take your body that long to get back to normal. Your miscarriage was so close to your normal period that your body would not have had time to know to have a period yet anyway. Give yourself some time, if you don't have a period by the end of may, maybe call your Dr and talk to them if it would make you feel better. I am sorry for your loss, it's not easy to go through. Hang in there and if at anytime you worry about this not being normal, call and talk to your Dr or one of thier nurses. Good luck.

LotaHossain responded:
Okay. I have been an automated donor for the past 5 months. I donate blood once every 2 months. I DID get my period the next month after the skipped period month. My scheduled blood donation dates for some reason seem to always be a few days before my expected periods. Here's the thing : it happened again. I just donated blood 2 1/2 weeks ago (3 or 4 days before my period was supposed to come) and now my period is 2 weeks late. Here's the pattern: 1st cycle - I miscarry and have my period. 2nd cycle - I donate blood and skip my period. 3rd cycle- I DON'T donate blood and I have my period. 4th cycle (this cycle month) - I donated blood and I skip my period again. Basically the pattern so far is the months that I do NOT donate blood, I get my period as expected and the months that I DO donate blood, I miss my period. No, I am NOT pregnant - I already took 3 tests, just to be sure. Are you absolutely sure that donating blood RIGHT (1-4 days) before my expected period can't /won't cause me to skip my period? This is the second time that this has happened in the past 4 months. Both times that I skipped were the times when I donated...

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.