Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sex drive after tubal ligation
ozchik posted:
is it normal to have a decreased sex drive after having yourtubes tied? i have two sons age 5 and 2 now and after the two year old was born i had practically no sex drive. still dont. help.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear ozchik,

There is no connection between fallopian tubes and your sex drive physically. If you take a look at this article on Tubal Ligation, you'll see a tubal ligation just cuts the path between your ovaries and uterus. Unlike a complete hysterectomy, it does not remove your ovaries. Mentally, many women feel a higher sex drive after a tubal ligation because the worries about unwanted pregnancies are removed.

Having two young sons can put a damper on anyone's sex drive. I would suggest visiting your doctor and have a complete physical, including your thyroid and hormone levels and see what can be done. If that comes back normal, then you may want to work on getting a babysitter and having some 'you' time. Such as a hobby, join a group, take a class--something to get you out of the house. Then you might want to consider a 'date night' with your husband/boyfriend and go out and do something enjoyable together.

You can also try the Couples Coping Support Group and get their suggestions.

Yours in health,

Byroney

erminemomof3 responded:
It must really be normal because I too have no desire to have sex after my tubal. I thought it was just me. I asked my obgyn and he said that sometimes it may take a few months to get back in the urge but it has been almost 2 years and I still have no desire. I guess that could ahve something to do with why my husband and I split up....but I too would really like some suggestions on what to do to make my life more normal.

mommyrrtx responded:
Im almost 28 and i have 3kids and in 2010 i got my tubes tied and i use to me a nempho and now i can barely stand having sex with my much younger husband. i give in alot just to please him but im ready to get back in the gear of getting mine at the same time if not more than him. I want to know how i can get my sex drive back with out paying an arm and leg for it. army wife in texas

Anon_6061 replied to mommyrrtx's response:
I'm sorry for your loss! I personally know how devastating this is. I had a hysterectomy and lost all libido and have very little sensation. It may be worthwhile to have your hormone levels checked since TL can cause ovarian dysfunction or failure. I know some women who've had some libido improvement with testosterone after hysterectomy. But it hasn't helped me.

minxmcleod responded:
It is perfectly normal and will definitely change over time once all your "hormones" have gone back into balance guidelines again. To have no sex drive just simply means your "hormones" are out of balance. Just ask your doctor to test your hormone levels to see where they are and then have your doctor prescribe a bio-identical hormone regimine for you that will get your hormones back in balance again and once they are your sex drive should be back to normal. Hope this helps you.

minxmcleod replied to Anon_6061's response:
I'm very sorry to hear that you have no sensation after having a hysterectomy because I had a "Total Hysterectomy" at age 40 where all my female organs were removed completely and started immediately on hormone replacement therapy before I even was released from the hospital and I have enjoyed sex much more since my hysterectomy than I ever did prior to having it done. I'm 55 now and my sex life is still better than it's ever been but I have to confess that it would not be as good as it is if it wasn't for the bio-identical hormone replacement cream that I apply every day to keep all my hormones in balance. If it wasn't for this I know I would have no desires for sex what-so-ever and I'm also pretty sure sex would probably also be very painful. I do have one other additional comment which is if anyone ever wants a big kickstart to boost their sex drive to consider having the "Sotopelle" injection done by a doctor that is certified to insert the injection in your hip area which really works but I will warn everyone now that until the dosage of hormone being injected is correct to what you need you can either get too much or too little which is what happened to me when I tried it and I did not like the way it turned me into a sex maniac that couldn't get enough sex and was even wanting to have sex with anyone I could even outside of my long time relationship. I couldn't even sleep for wanting sex so bad and because of me having this type of reaction I did not ever want this injection ever again. My boyfriend LOVED the sex maniac I became and misses it but I hated it and don't ever want to feel that way ever again. I've been told that the way I felt is the way men feel all the time but in order for men to function in society they have to learn how to squelch their sexual desires constantly which I feel very sorry for them for because I could not handle the overbearing sexual urges I experienced. So if you desire to give yourself a sexual boost to try and kickstart your innerselfs sexual desires again you might consider the pellet injection. You can go online and google hormone replacement therapy pellet injections especially the "Sottopelle" pellet injection to find out more information on this type of hormone replacement therapy. I hope this helps get your sex life back the way you'd like for it to be.

leoti31 responded:
I had my 4th child and had a tubal and have been experiencing this experts say it is not related, but I somehow think it is. I hope it gets better for you.

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.