Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Passing air through urethra and UTI
nadjjaa posted:
I am 11 weeks postpartum. I had a vaginal delivery with 12 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing (baby was face up). I had an episiotomy as well but little or no tearing. I have recently been treated for a UTI when I started experiencing pain during urination, which was limited mostly to the end or outside of the urethra. I do not have an urgent feeling to urinate or increased frequency so common with UTIs. I took a round of Macrobid, and the infection did not go away. A few days ago I started Bactrim. I believe I am also passing air through my urethra when I urinate. I hear a WHOOSH sound sometimes when I pee. I don't know if its relevant but I do not have this each and every time, nor do I have the irritation every time. But when I pee it almost feels like the opening of my urethra is "bruised" (which for all I know may be true since I just gave birth). I should note that my OBGYN initially gave me Premarin cream for the problem I've described; I still can't figure out why. My vagina feels strange - all big and weird! It feels like air bubbles get trapped in there, so I am not 100% sure that the air IS coming from my urethra other than I hear the whooshing sound when I pee sometimes. I was initially afraid I'd had a uterine prolapse because it feels like something is coming out of me, but my doctor has examined me at 6 weeks PP and did not say anything about prolapse (could he be wrong?) I am wondering if my symptoms are the result of a fistula, in short. They have only appeared since giving birth, so I didn't think it was bladder cancer or anything like that, but feel free to correct me if there's a possibility I'm wrong! Thanks

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.