Skip to content
Ovarian Cyst causes vaginal bleed?
askingapro posted:
Can an ovarian hemorrhagic cyst cause vaginal bleeding? I was diagnosed with a cyst about 6 weeks ago -the doctor said we will take a wait and see attitude as it is not so large. Today I was at a different doctor who did an exam and placed a large amount of pressure on that side of my abdomen. When I arrived home, I saw that I was bleeding vaginally and I am experiencing pain/tenderness in that area. Can pressure on the abdomen cause an ovarian cyst to bleed? Would I have vaginal bleeding from that? As a side bit of information-I am nursing a 10 month old pretty full time and taking a mini-pill. I am also not expecting my period for another week.

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear askingapro: Yes, many types of ovarian cysts can cause erratic vaginal bleeding if they are interfering with the normal hormonal patterns. Thus the blood in the vagina is not coming from the small bleed in the ovary but from a dysregulated growth of the lining of the uterus. You also have the complicating factor of full time nursing and Micronor use, both of which can impact the thickness and stability of the lining of your uterus. Normally after ovulation a corpus luteum of less than 3 cm resolves within two weeks. This type of cyst will be maintained, if conception occurs, to produce hormones needed in early pregnancy. If excessive amounts of fluid collect, a corpus luteum cyst can also get large enough to cause pain?or very rarely, ovarian torsion. Occasionally, this type of cyst will have a small blood vessel which continues to bleed into a corpus luteum cyst. This is called a ?hemorrhagic ovarian cyst?. A cyst of this type can either leak small amounts of blood, or it can rupture, spilling blood into the abdomen. This hemorrhagic ovarian cyst can be linked to prolonged pain compared to other types of cysts. The pain and tenderness after the heavy exam pressure on that side is very likely the result of the cyst being "pressed on". I doubt whether pressure from a pelvic exam would increase the amount of bleeding in the cyst. These are usually small or very slow bleeders and the pressure from the fluid in the cyst can create pressure against the bleeding vessel which actually stops the bleeding. Hopefully the cyst will begin involuting/going down in size and be reabsorbed. Be sure to keep your follow up appointment even if things seem to be improving. If the pain/tenderness persists or escalates be sure to contact your GYN or clinic. If the bleeding is prolonged contact your GYN. Yours, Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.