Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kidney Infection and Period
scol6 posted:
In the past, I have had UTI around the time I was supposed to get my period, and then got my period after I was over the UTI. Now, I have a kidney infection, diagnosed 1 week ago (the same week in which I was supposed to get my period). I am on antibiotics (cipro) for another week. I have still not gotten my period (1 week late). Should I be expecting my period after I complete the antibiotics, or should I take a pregnancy test since I am late? I do take birth control regularly, but last week was my sugar pill week and I haven't started taking it this week since I never got my period.

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear scol: Gosh, a kidney infection--much more concerning than a urinary tract infection (UTI). Perhaps given your history of frequent UTIs, and now pyelonephritis, your GYN or primary care MD will be thinking of sending you for a renal/kidney ultrasound to see if there is some anatomic reason (eg kinked ureter) for these recurrent infections. Yes, do take a pregnancy test just to rule out that distant possibility. If the test is negative then the reason for the missing flow MIGHT be either the stress of this illness --or even "normal" absent periods in a longer term birth control pill user. In terms of the effects of Cipro on birth control pills (BCPs) here is a citation from the National Library of Medicine site: Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998 Dec;42(12):3266-8. No interaction between ciprofloxacin and an oral contraceptive. Scholten PC, Droppert RM, Zwinkels MG, Moesker HL, Nauta JJ, Hoepelman IM. Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital of Utrecht, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands. Several antibiotics have been reported to lessen the ovarian suppression produced by oral contraceptive agents, as a result of drug interactions. The present investigation was designed to study the likelihood of the occurrence of any such interaction between the fluoroquinolone antibiotic ciprofloxacin (Ciproxin) at a dosage of 500 mg twice a day and the "low-dose" oral contraceptive Marvelon (30 microgram of ethinyl estradiol [EE> plus 150 microgram of desogestrel). Twenty-four healthy female volunteers were studied in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized crossover trial. There were no significant differences between measurements of the area under the concentration-time curve of EE up to 24 h after oral contraceptive intake during placebo and ciprofloxacin administration on days 11 and 16 of the cycles, indicating the absence of pharmacokinetic interaction. Similarly, no clinically significant differences in the levels of sex hormone binding globulin were found between the placebo and ciprofloxacin cycles, indicating no major variation in EE levels during ciprofloxacin and placebo treatment. Ten subjects in each of the placebo and ciprofloxacin groups had early-follicular-phase levels of 17-beta estradiol (

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.