Skip to content
Can a breast cyst burst ?
rayrayjay posted:
Last night in bed, I felt a 'pop' in my left breast. I instantly felt intense pain. Everytime I moved in bed, I felt pain in that area. This morning when I got out of bed, I had horrible pain in my breast, my shoulder, and upper arm. It has continued to be very painful all day. Can a breast cyst burst? I know cysts in ovaries do, but everything I have looked up on the internet today says that they do not burst. If so, what did I experience? I am 62 years old, have a long history of fibroid cysts, and just had a digital mammogram in Nov, and everything was fine. Should I be worried? Could the drainage be toxic? I need some advice. Thank you.

_swank_ responded:
I don't know the answer but I'd be more inclined to believe that you pulled a muscle or tendon in your shoulder and not a cyst in your breast.

rayrayjay responded:
Thanks for your response, but it was definitely not in my shoulder. I felt it 'pop', and it was in my breast. The place where it burst is sore as a boil. Thanks again!

4oSomething responded:
yes any cyst can burst. one of mine burst in the mammogram and the pain was as you describe. a cyst is not an infection like an abcess, so no there is nothing toxic in it. but you need to be 100% sure that it was only a cyst, and not an abcess. or something else. it is unusual for women your age to get breast cysts, unless you are using estrogen. breast cysts tend to resolve with menopause.....

rayrayjay responded:
Thank you for your advice. I have never been on any type of estrogen. I had a partial hysterectomy in 1983 and went through or at least finished menopause 5 years ago. It makes me feel so much better to know that someone else has gone through this. My pain is much better now, just some soreness. I don't have any warmth or discoloring, so I feel like it is going to be ok. Thanks again.

Maude47 replied to rayrayjay's response:
I was just looking up about breast cysts bursting. My friend had just called me and told me that she just had one burst. She experienced sudden pain in the breast and under her arm. She went to the Dr. and they did 2 different mammograms and 2 ultrasounds to be sure of what it was i.e. not a tumor or cancer. The Drs finally concluded it was a cyst that had burst.
Just as an aside...she said that since Christmas she had been drinking large quantities of soda with caffeine..I told her she might want to get off that habit. My experience..caffeine just makes my fibroids worse. Be sure if you get checked out thoroughly by a Dr., or 2 if need be. Don't wait.

margiekim responded:
I too had something burst in my left breast. For the past four years I have had a large mass/sore spot. I just had a mamogram/ultrasound of the area and nothing showed up according to my Dr.

My Dr. said I pulled a muscle too! I felt the fluid in it pass from left ear over my left shoulder and into my left arm. I burned but I could not see any discoloration. I went to the hospital after my Dr did nothing but argue with me that this nothing had burst. I felt like I had a heart attack and now have blood clots in my lungs. They rulled out my heart and lungs. I came home from the Hospital, still in pain and won't go back to the Quack! What was it? It was never hard, it was tubular and I thought it was a fibroid. My body feels like its been poisened.

Margie Kim

serenityali responded:
Hello-
The same thing happended to me. Your article is like reading my own story. I am also 62, with long history of fibroid cysts and had my last mammogram in Dec. 2013.

I recently went to Mayo in Rochester MN. At their Breast Clinic I was told it was one of three things....a ruptured breast cyst, breast infection or inflamatory breast cancer. My breast was also swollen and had a pink rash. The pain was not nice.

I was scheduled for a mammogram and possible biopsy the next day but my insurance wouldn't pay for it. So, I'm back home getting a mammogram in 3 days here.

I think you Dr. is a quack and don't blame you for seeking answers. Now days we need to be assertive because no one else is going to support us.

I hope you find someone who is knowledgeble in this area and wish you luck.

Ali

lek_k_e responded:
I think mine might have popped, but there was no force or pressure applied to it... is it possible that it could have just popped so easily?

Anon_5366 responded:
I would talk to my doctor.

Helpful Tips

When is it appropriate to remove an IUD?
I have had my IUD inserted after my baby was born three years ago. When would it be suitable to have it removed? I know it is ok to have ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.