Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dizzy & Nausea Before/During Period
kjmommy4 posted:
I am a 21 year old mother of one that has been fairly healthy my entire life. I had normal periods before and after my pregnancy at 19 until recently. It seems that my health has started to deteriorate in the past few months that I believe may have been brought on by severe stress. It started with feeling run down at all times, like all I wanted to do was sleep. I haven't had the energy to do much of anything, let alone raise a toddler. Then I started getting sick more often than ever. Beginning on the first day of my last period I became light-headed and dizzy. I don't remember much of that night besides laying down and feeling like I was drifting in and out of sleep. When I woke up I was extremely nauseous but never actually vomited. I had severe diarrhea and chills and started my period during all of this. I experienced horrible cramps in my abdomen and lower back all that night and all the next day, with the nausea and dizziness continuing, and had a hard time just walking from one room to the next. I finally got over it on either the 3rd or 4th day of my period. Then tonight I began to have the same very painful cramps before starting my period. About an hour later the dizziness and nausea that I experienced during the last period returned. When sitting still I almost have the sensation of floating. I also wonder if I have problems with my immune system because I have been continuously sick in the past month or so with unrelated issues. I have read different forums on people with similar symptoms but can't seem to find much of an answer. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Georgiagail responded:
One would suspect an issue with anemia: www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-anemia-symptoms This is THE most common nutritional deficiency in women of child bearing age. It would be fairly simple to get tested for this. Gail

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.