Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Yeast Infection that wont go away
chibikiwi posted:
I am 18 years old and at an average weight and a virgin. I have been suffering form a constant yeast infection for a while now. I have tried home remedies, medicine, both from doctors and over the counter such as monistat, Acidophillus, etc. gotten several pap smears, but they all said it was just a yeast infection, and gave me meds, but they never worked. I've literally tried EVERYTHING. Then my doctor told me frequent yeast infections could be a sign of diabetes. I got my blood tested and it was slightly high, but the night before I had gorged on some sugar with some friends. So, the doctor told me to come back the next week to get tested again. I did, and I tested normal, my blood sugar normal. But the infection STILL won't go away. Should I get tested again for diabetes, or is this something else I need to look into? At this point, since it is so persistent, I'm starting to worry that it's something serious, but my docters just tell me it's a yeast infection, but none of their meds work. What else could this be? It's both embarassing and annoying.

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear chibikiwi: Frequent/recurrent yeast infections that do not respond to any of the prescribed treatments suggest a couple of POSSIBILITIES. First that yeast is not the culprit, or second that it is one of the atypical subtypes of yeast ("candida"). It seems unlikely that diabetes is the sole cause if your blood sugar was normal. The easiest way to help unravel this question is to have the GYN do a yeast CULTURE the next time you have symptoms. If the culture is negative then yeast is not the cause. Some other conditions which can produce yeast type symptoms include: 1. Cytolytic vaginitis--this is an overgrowth of the beneficial, hydrogen peroxide producing lactobacili that help keep the vagina clear of undesirable bacteria. An overgrowth can produce an itchy, burning, irritating discharge. 2. Lichen sclerosus--this is a skin condition outside the vagina (usually between the vaginal opening and the anus) that can create intense itching and irritation. 3. Contact dermatitis--this would be from a change in tampons/pads, new bubble bath, etc. If the yeast culture is positive, then the lab can identify which of the yeast subtypes may be the villain. Most yeast medications are developed for candida albicans --about 80% of yeast infections are due to this. The other 20% or so are uncommon subtypes (eg candid glabrata). To treat the less common subtypes clinicians may try boric acid vaginally or even painting with a gentian violet (very messy!). If these are truly reoccurance of candida albicans you might need repeat or prolonged treatments. A second blood sugar or hemoglobin A 1C test can be considered--although at a normal weight this seems unlikely. You mentioned you are a virgin. If you have ever had someone give you oral sex (or you use saliva for masturbation) you may be getting exposure to yeast. Yeast is present in the gut from the mouth to the rectum. You can certainly try the so called life style treatments for yeast Additional lifestyle methods, which have been advocated for ?yeast infection prevention,? include: a diet low in refined sugars and simple carbohydrates, avoidance of tight jeans, use of cotton underwear, eating natural lactobacillus yogurt, and others. There are few, if any, good research studies which demonstrate that these methods are helpful, but some women swear by them. Bottom line, although it's more expensive, a yeast/candida culture may help find a diagnosis and direct treatment. Yours, Jane

mouscelia responded:
Just a warning, you may be at risk for diabetes in the future since your blood sugar after loading up on carbs was too high, and you have resistant yeast infections. This happened to me. I am now type 2 diabetic and have had recurrent yeast infections for years. You may want to start a diet to control blood sugar to prevent yourself from problems down the line. I wish I had.

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear mouscelia: Thanks for taking the time to make an important point. Among normal weight young women Type 2 diabetes is less common, but it can occur. Yours, Jane

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.