Skip to content
Please Help - Essure Complication
Kloes posted:
I had the essure procedure done Feb. 17th 2009 and I have been Cramping and in constant pain ever since I also am suffering with severe nausea and some vomiting. I have talked to my doctor and she just keeps putting me on antibiotics because I have also got a uterus infection from the surgery that has not gone away (even after 3 weeks of Doxycycline) am still taking the antibiotics. She is saying that is a slight possibility that it is a reaction due to my nickel allergy. But that is very unlikely from what my doctor has said I don't know obviously I am not a doc. I am just trying to figure out if this is normal if there is any other cases reported that are similar to mine and if so what was done about it. My doctor told me that if I keep having these problems that I will have to have a hysterectomy, I read that this is not true that the micro-inserts can be removed up to 6 weeks after the initial surgery, is that true? SOME ONE PLEASE HELP Please contact me via email at Kloes.clara@gmail.com Thank you, Clara

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear Clara: Here is the best citation I could find at the National Library of Medicine site on Essure removal:

Fertil Steril. 2007 Aug;88(2):497.e13-4. Epub 2007 Mar 29. Links Techniques for removal of the Essure hysteroscopic tubal occlusion device.Lannon BM, Lee SY. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA. blannon@bidmc.harvard.edu

OBJECTIVE: To present two case reports of techniques for removal of the Essure (Conceptus, Inc., Mountain View, CA) hysteroscopic tubal occlusion device. DESIGN: Case report. SETTING: University-affiliated teaching hospital. PATIENT(S): Two women requesting removal of Essure devices because of persistent pelvic pain up to 6 weeks after placement. INTERVENTION(S): Hysteroscopic and laparoscopic removal of the Essure microinserts. No institutional review board approval was obtained because the procedures were not part of a study protocol. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Effective removal of the Essure device and resolution of pelvic pain symptoms. RESULT(S): Successful removal of the device was achieved in both patients. In one case, the procedure was performed entirely by hysteroscopy. In the other case, a laparoscopic approach was required because of a lack of visualization of the device. Pain symptoms resolved within 2 weeks of removal in both patients. CONCLUSION(S): These are the first reported cases of successful removal of the Essure tubal occlusion devices up to 6 weeks after placement. This procedure can be safely performed with the use of hysteroscopy if the inserts are clearly visualized. Laparoscopy is an alternative when the device is completely within the fallopian tube. Further study is needed to assess the functionality of the tube after the procedure, as well as feasibility of removal beyond 6 weeks.

In terms of the uterine infection, that itself can cause significant pelvic pain, and sometimes nausea. Sometimes, if doxycycline is not clearing up the infection, metronidazole or other types of antibiotics can be added. In very rare cases, a severe pelvic infection will require hospitalization for IV antibiotics.

Yours, Jane

Smcemu responded:
About the same thing happened to me. I had the inserts put in and about a week later I was nauseous all the time and really itchy all over ( with no rashes). I went through all kinds of testing and found out I was allergic to nickel. Would have been nice to know before I got the implants I had them removed in the hospital. They removed them the same way they were put in. I just had to agree that if they couldn't be pulled out then they would try laproscopically removing them through the tubes and if that didn't work then it would be a historectomy. I lucked out and they came out fine the easy way. Hope this helps! My doc was also very insistent that it couldn't Be a nickel allergy since I never reacted to fake jewelry. I would recommend seeing an allergist. I guess you can react different to things inside your body. Hope this helps you! Good luck

jdel007 replied to Smcemu's response:
I am now in the process of getting a hysterectomy because of this ESSURE nitemare....I have had problems from the begining..I WISH..I WISH ..SOMEONEWOULD HAVE HAD TOLD ME....I believe the whole thing is sugar coated ...DOCTORS BLEW ME OFF..like I wasn't having any compilcations...I have pelvic pain..painful intercourse...cramping....this is still happening three years later!!!!

Helpful Tips

Missed period...I have an iud(Paragaurd)
Hi just need some advice, my LMP was at the end of october and i havent had another period since. I also have the Paragaurd IUD. It really ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.