Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
loss of nipple sensation
kzoomommy posted:
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm 37, a healthy mom of two little girls. No breast surgeries ever. My breasts and nipples have always been sensitive (in a good way) Directly linked to my level of arousal when it came to sex. With my first baby I was only able to breast feed for the first 8 weeks and had to stop after 3 severe cases of mastitis. Once I recovered and my husband and I resumed our sex life, I never noticed any change in the level of sensitivity to my nipples. I breast fed our second child for nearly a year without any problems (she is now 2 years old) and since then I have not been able to feel much, if anything, in both my nipples. They still perk up when touched or if it's cold but I don't really feel it. I have searched the web for any kind of info on this and all I can find are refrences to side effects from breast reductions, implants and all other forms of breast surgery. This has been very frustrating for me and I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever come back or if it's permanent. Is is from breastfeeding? Is it simply aging? What the heck happened???? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hmm, I know that my nipple sensitivity is much different now than when I was young. It also is more related to where in my cycle I am.

Mhaslo responded:
You are not alone. After my last child I didn't have sensation for 6-8 years and tried everything under the sun to get it back. I am now 40 and have just had my sensation return within the past 4 years. It was very frustrating but my husband and I just came up with different stimulations. Hopefully yours will not take as long to return.

momoffour25 responded:
Yes i know how you feel, i breastfed my last daughter, and lost feeling in my nipples also, plus i was in menopause that didn't help either.. So, your not alone, your not crazy,, I'm in the same boat,,, Welcome mate.....hugs bonnie,,

Mojo214 responded:
I understand totally. I'm 54 and since I had a hysterectomy two years ago, I have lost almost all sensation in my nipples, and like you, that is where I had a great deal of arousal. It's scary. I sincerely wish I still was ovulating and having periods. It's real hard to get aroused without their cooperation.

zfam54u responded:
I am 36 and experience the same problem. I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago and seem to have lost all feeling. I have never breast fed either one of my children, so I can't say wether or not it is from that however I noticed I started having the loss of sensation before my surgery and when it started I was having problems with my ovaries. I do not know if that went hand in hand but it was the same time when both of the problems started. Do you have ovarie problems. If so you should check with your doctor. Mine told me it had to do with a non sufficient amount of hormones in my body. Hope this helps.

Jaysie_Wong responded:
Hi, I am really sorry for your situation, but don't worry. As others said, you are not alone. I am 23 years, and I am a mother of 3 kids, years 5 to the youngest 1 and half years old. And I have breastfeed for 3 of them for the 1st month after birth. Since then, I hardly feel the sensation on the nipples too. I have already get used to it for these few years. DONT WORRY!!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Altair_4 responded:
I have had one child and never breast fed except for a month or so. I have not lost any sensation. Quite the opposite in that they seem even more sensitive than before I had a child. I am only 43 and have not of course gone through menapause, but seeing as a lot younger women here have suffered loss of sensation I don't think that has anything to do with nipple sensation loss. I would guess hormonal. Has anyone gone to the doctor on this to find out what the cause is?

masonmomof4 responded:
I have four childern, ages 13, 9,5 and 17 months. I have breastfeed all of them for more than one year. I have also loss sensation in my breast but it returned in the first year and half after stopping. With my last child I have noticed it is not completely gone like the others. By the way I am 32 years old and I asked my mother who also breastfeed all of us who is 55 and hers came back as well. But I would say everyone woman is different and their bodies react differently. I too found other ways to enjoy myself until the feeling came back

astrol responded:
Kzoo

It's not a permanent condition. I had the same problem. While nursing our bodies adapt to the needs of the baby. Once the baby no longer needs your body, it takes time to recover. As for aging, once you recover sensation, you don't lose it simply because of getting older!

Alternativehelp responded:
Dear kzoomommy, Yes that do happen when breast feeding in my Island Your sensational area now should be just around the soft parts surrounding the outer part of your Areora

Try getting your Hubby to gently suck around to find out where it starts to tingle Then work his way towards the nipple but not the nipple

This will take a couple of weeks for the sensational nerve to re activate

Your Babies have very very strong suction hence the numbing of you nipple

Good Luck hope this helps

bleblanc1959 responded:
I had my first child when I was 23 and have not had any sensation in my breasts since. I have never breastfed either of my children...never had any surgeries or anything else done to my breasts. I just turned 50 in July and i have had to live with this for the last 27 years. If there is something I could do to change this I would. My breast were very sensitive until then something happened somewhere along the way. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

belbaby responded:
hi there i am a mother of three i went threw the same thing an let me tell you it will come ack mine did but it was after 3 or 3 an ahalf years it came back as fast as it went away it was a surprize to me I thought i just lost that forever so plz dont let it worry you to much it will be back just try not to think about it an one time it will surprize you to an what a gr8 feeling when it does i m now 51 an i still feel gr8 when touch so relax it will be just fine dear ok belle,from north carolina

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.