Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth control and z-pak antibiotic
sunfish820 posted:
I have been using Ortho Tri Cyclen for about 8 years now. I am very good at remembering my pill everyday and while I am in a long term, loving relationship I do not wish to get pregnant at this time in my life.

Yesterday, I was prescribed a zpak for a long going sinus infection that I cannot seem to kick. I normally shy away from using antibiotics because I have several friends that have gotten pregnant while on them (and of course being on the pill as well). What I did not think about yesterday is that I had intercourse twice before I began my first dose of the antibiotic. I guess it was me being naive or just feeling so bad that I just was thinking about getting better but i did not think about how it could lessen my birth control that I needed to work that same day!

Should I be concerned about this? How long does sperm stay active in a woman's system? My bf who is a med student (and thinks he knows all ) says that it stays in my system for 36 hours and I should have waited to take the antibiotic. I would just like some piece of mind if I should not worry and if I should is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Sarita_kay responded:
I just stumbled across your question here as I was doing my own research, and I'm curious as to what the outcome was? I took the z-pak a few weeks ago, not thinking about the interference w/ the birth control pill, and now I'm freaking out b/c I realize I had sex the day before I ovulated, while on the z-pak. I, as well as you, am in a committed relationship and actually have two children already, but I really do not want any more children!

I do believe sperm can live 3-5 days, but I think your situation really depends on when you were due to ovulate. I conceived my daughter by having sex two days prior to ovulation.

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.