Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pregnancy Mythbusters!
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
This was posted in response to a nice question on "Could I be Pregnant?" board as to whether or not women can have pregnancy symptoms a week (or less) after ovulation.

The short answer is--No, they cannot. This is a really long response, so pardon me for the length as I explain more fully. When you ovulate, the sperm and egg just gon't get right together. Getting fertilized can take as long as Three to Five days after having intercourse. Once the egg is fertilized, it does not immediately implant. Instead, it changes chemically (to avoid other sperm joining in), and prepares for its trip. It has to pass through the fallopian tube to your uterus. Once in your uterus, it seeks a place to implant into your uterine lining. Side Note: This explains why you cannot have a True Period and be pregnant. When having a period, your body gets rid of that lining which would kill the developing fetus (miscarriage). Once implanted, changes take place that start raising hormone levels. This whole trip from ovulation to fertilization to implantation and raising hormone levels, etc. can take weeks. So while rarely a woman may have symptoms at four weeks, most women do not until six weeks pregnant or more. Some women never have symptoms. Check out the Egg to Embryo Slideshow for more information. Before Home Pregnancy Tests, women typically didn't see their doctor until they were 2-3 months pregnant because a pregnancy cannot be palpated (felt) until 10-12 weeks along. Palpation was the only way they had of confirming a pregnancy. Some women did not know they were pregnant until quickening (fetal movement) at 16-22 weeks. These women did not have the advantage women have today of testing so early, so they waited far longer to find out. Side Note: No one can feel fetal movement at 6 or 8 weeks, despite what you see posted. They are feeling gas because the embryo doesn't even become a fetus until it hits the eight week mark. There are no limbs to move around and it is the size of a BB pellet. Until 12 weeks, the fetus cannot even move around on its own. Check out the Fetal Development Timeline for more information on what happens each week. Statistically, a woman has ONLY a 20% chance of being pregnant each month, but almost 100% of the women who post here are having symptoms. Many of them will have other things like PMS, hormone imbalances, thyroid problems, the flu, etc. causing their symptoms. Some women have phantom/false pregnancies where they can go all the way up to having labor pains, but not really be pregnant--that is how powerful our minds are. That doesn't mean there is anything bad or wrong about women thinking they are having Pregnancy Symptoms before their body even knows it is pregnant. It is like if someone tells you they have lice and you feel your head itching. You are suddenly focused on any possible changes, and you may notice things you've never noticed before. Many women are also in a heightened state of awareness, either in excitement (trying to conceive!), or from fear (condom broke!). The good news is that after a year of trying, 85% of the women who wanted to be pregnant, will be! Best wishes and baby dust to all who want it, Byroney

FCL responded:
Graet post, Byroney.

TreeFolk responded:
This is a great post. I'm TTC # 1 and don't know much about pregnancy. I keep assuming that I should be feeling something if I am pregnant, but really I don't feel anything and I guess I'm now assuming I'm not pregnant! I guess truth is we shall all have to wait and see, and just have a little patience (hard to come by these days!). Just keep trying! Baby dust to all!

clhapr responded:
my boyfriend and I had sex June 27th and he came inside me. I was supposed to start my period June 30th and it is now July 1st. I normally start on the date or early. if I am pregnant will I miss my period or will I still have it just late since it was only 3 days before? or could i not be pregnant and it just be late cuz i had sex soo close to starting my period?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear TreeFolk,

Don't let symptoms fool you--either the lack of, or having a dozen. I have seen plenty of women who have posted that they don't have any symptoms and have been pregnant. Patience and a Home Pregnancy Test are two good things to have in large supply when TTC. Also, here is a Couple?s Guide: TTC (Trying to Conceive) Charting Your Fertility Cycle that may help.

Best wishes and baby dust!

Byroney

Dear chlhapr,

It's way too early to know if you are pregnant. If you don't get your period by the 12th or a little later, go ahead and take a Home Pregnancy Test and see. If you ovulated close to your period, then you may have gotten pregnant.

Yours in health,

Byroney

TreeFolk responded:
Thanks Byroney! AF came yeterday though, a full week earlier than last cycle! We'll try again this month, see what comes of it... That was a helpul article. I think since my cycle seems so random we may just have to be persistent and see if we get lucky!

ashleym2202 responded:
I have heard that you can have some light pink bleeding along with some brownish discharge and that could mean you are possibly pregnant. Is that true? I cant go by a missed period because I take my BC and skip the last week and start a new pack so I only have 4 periods a year. I never use a condom with my fiance and we arent trying but he has finished inside me a few times when I missed my bc. I am nauseated some and am using the bathroom more than usual I also have stomach pain and lower back pain. Could I be pregnant. I have already taken a hpt 2-3 weeks ago and it was negative. Help!!!!

Justinsmom1986 responded:
well to me this cant be right after i became pregnant with my first son i got all the symptoms 5 days later i was not trying to concieve at all i was in denial even after i missed my period so u can get symptoms pretty fast i did and i didnt even want a baby so i didn t trick myself into feeling them b/c it wasnt wanted

Dear TreeFolk,

So sorry AF showed up?and early at that! If you haven't already, you may want to check out the TTC (Trying to Conceive) Just Starting Out board for more information and support.

Baby dust!

Byroney

Dear ashleym2202,

Bleeding is a possible warning sign of miscarriage, and not a pregnancy symtpom. While some women can spot through there pregnancy, it is not normal.

Birth control pills, if taken as directed, supress ovulation. However, since you mention missing some of them, you should take another Home Pregnancy Test to be sure. Make sure to use your first morning urine. Your birth control pills will not interfere with the test results.

If the results come out negative, here are some reasons why you can have a negative pregnancy test, but still feel pregnant. Checking with your doctor would be a good idea, too.

Yours in health,

Byroney

Dear Justinsmom1986,

Five days after a missed period, you would be considered about 5 weeks pregnant. What I was discussing was women stating they had pregnancy symptoms even before the embryo implanted and the body was therefore aware of the pregnancy.

I hope everything turned out okay for you and your first son, even if the pregnancy was not planned.

Best wishes,

Byroney

heather_JAD responded:
Ok, I have a major question. The guy I was with went in me during the deed & I ran to the bathroom right after to try & get it all out. It's been a little over a month and I have already had a period. But two mornings in a row I got sick & I have been going to the bathroom & eating a lot lately. Should I be worried???

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Just an FYI, what you did will not prevent pregnancy. What you see coming out of you is the semen which carries the sperm. The sperm are already well on their way to your uterus and then to your fallopian tubes where fertilization takes place.

Anyway, if you had your normal period since then, it would be a pretty safe bet to say you're not pregnant. Assuming you have not had sex since that time, if you take a pregnancy test, it would be accurate.

Dear heather_JAD,

tlkittkat has given you some good advice. However, women can bleed early in pregnancy and think it is their period, even though it isn't. Taking a Home Pregnancy Test (make sure to follow directions) should settle the matter. Even if the results come back negative, you may want to see your doctor to make sure you don't have a Urinary Tract Infection or something else that needs to be addressed.

Yours in health,

Byroney

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.