Skip to content
bacterial vaginosis...PLEASE HELP!!!!
An_193314 posted:
So for about 2 years now, I've been suffering with BV. It's mainly odor, no itching or discomfort, which has KILLED mine and my husbands sex life. On top of all that, we're trying to get pregnant and it's hard to get pregnant if it smells so bad you can't have sex.
It always comes one week before my period, and it's just been the odor. My doctor has told me to eat yogurt (which don't work), given me antibiotics, and they work, but every month it comes back. She suggested I go to a Compound Pharmacy and get them to make a Boric Acid compound for me.
This month came around, and no odor, but ITCH. it's horrible. My husband thinks I'm cheating because it seems like I'm always 'Broke', and "he don't have anything so I must be gettng it from somewhere". I don't want to snuggle anymore because snuggling leads to intimacy, and I don't feel comfortable with sex anymore. Especially this month with the horrible ITCH & DISCOMFORT.
I feel like a freak. I don't know what's causing it, why it comes back, or how to totally get rid of it. I'm tired of paying money for doctors appts and prescriptions, and now a 'special' pharmacy if I'm gonna have to deal with this every month.
Is there any thing over the counter I can get that works, or is there a cause that I'm totally missing? I'm a tad overweight (10 lbs), but I'm still pretty active. I have good hygeine. Can stress cause this mess? Does diet affect it?
PLEASE HELP!!!

NewGirl2010 responded:
I really don't have any suggestions as to what it could be other than BV. So, if we assume for a moment that it is BV...I have a few suggestions. 1.) Try an oral probiotic. Fem Dophilus is an example. There are many probiotics on the market. A bit more research will lead you to others. Eat yogurt for the taste and nutritional value, but I don't believe it does anything for the treatment of vaginal infections. 2.) Antibiotics: have you ever tried Tindamax? It is a bit different than other antibiotics used to treat BV. I suffered from reoccurring BV for a while. Tindamax successfully treated mine and it hasn't returned (knock on wood). Of course, one girl's success on one drug may not be the answer for another. 3.) Take warm baths with a very mild soap to help with irritation and odor. 4.) Wear loose fitting cotton undies, ditch the panty hose, and at bed time...ditch all clothing below the waist. These are my suggestions. Good luck!

One more thing...have you been tested for STDs? Trichomoniasis, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, HSV (for example).

BoyishGirl replied to NewGirl2010's response:
So i've had that problem too. My doc would give me those nasty white pills that make me wanna instantly gag. i do everything you said except for the yogurt thing and i still get the infections. very irritating. its to the point where i know exactly what it is and just call her secretary to call in the prescription for me so i can pick it up.

An_193315 replied to NewGirl2010's response:
STDs was one of the first things my dr tested me for, and all free and clear.
The cleocin supp. worked the best on the antibiotic front. It eliminated that horrid taste, and i take it for less days, but I just feel that antibiotics every month can't be good for me.
I've tried everything my dr's suggested, cotton panties, none at bedtime, yogurt, using a hair dryer to dry off after my shower, etc. I've just came to the frustrating conclusion that it must be some jacked up hormones I have or something.
I just find it odd that all reading I've done on the subject, and how it's 50% more common than a yeast infection, but there are always more questins than answers.
Just frustrating I guess

ambeee responded:
girl i feel your pain.its embarrassing and lowers your self esteem.mine was comming back as well over and over.do not ever take a bath agin in your life.only use summers eve body wash ,its non hypollergenic and that was my prob.once i stoped using reg body wash and soap after cup days i was in the clear.i took my meds perscribed then 2wks later symptons started and i was angry and just fig out why it was happening on my own. i only use summers eve and no fabric softer and lite detetergent on under wear and tight pants.only wear cotten underwear.sleep with out pants and let the vagina breath.bacteria thrives in wet moist places.make sure your husband has had a shower recentally before sex.u do all this u will get urself back agin.oh keep pubic hairs shaved less chance of bacteria that way.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.