Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Breast soreness AFTER my period
manders77 posted:
It is not uncommon for me to experience breast tenderness and soreness before and during my period, but this last period I did not experience breast soreness until a few days after my period was over. And the soreness is still there two weeks later. The only explination I have read on various web sites is that it could be pregnancy, but let me tell you that that is impossible in my situation unless it is the second immaculate conception. Does anyone else experience this? I am very concerned now that it's lasted for 2 weeks. Maybe my hormones are going crazy?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear manders: I concur, given your situation it's not likely to be pregnancy. I also concur that it is most probably due to hormones---unless you have some other cause for breast tenderness such as starting to work out, a severe respiratory infection (chest wall inflammation), etc.

You mentioned that you did not have your usual breast soreness before this period. It arrived after the flow. My best GUESS is that your last "period" may not have been linked to an ovulation. Classically periods caused by ovulations have the most prominent premenstrual symptoms (breast pain, cramps, etc). Also, if you missed an ovulation last month you have been exposed to continued levels of estrogen. Estrogen has been a purported cause of breast tenderness and enlargement.

Hopefully this is just a temporary thing. If the bilateral breast pain persists or you develop other symptoms such as the pain and blistering of shingles on the chest, you should see your GYN or clinic for a breast exam.

Yours,
Jane

snaxtig responded:
I am 42 & I am going through the change of life. I have had breast soreness that has lasted for weeks. I am still getting my period but after it is over my breasts ache like toothaches. It is horrible. I hope it is my hormones going wild but if it keeps up I think I should go to the doctors. So an answer to your question is that you are not alone!

Helpful Tips

suggestion
hi. i have dealt with the same issues discussed. i have dealt with pelvic congestion for 5 years. i just wanted to recommend going to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.